Fidel Castro in very good shape, says Hugo ChavezFebruary 28th, 2009 - 7:01 pm ICT by ANI
Caracas, Feb. 28 (ANI): Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez has said 82-year-old former Cuban leader Fidel Castro seemed to be in a very, very good shape during their latest meeting in Cuba.
Fidel is well very, very, very good. Very good. He was much better than all the times I”ve visited him in the past three years, two and a half years, the Telegraph quoted him, as saying.
Castro has not been seen in public since 2006 when he underwent intestinal surgery and ceded power to his younger brother Raul Castro. He was rumored last month to be in serious condition but the Cuban government insisted he is still active and working.
Chavez said he met Castro twice, once for three hours on February 20, and for more than four hours on February 21.
Fidel surprised us all. He went for a walk. Fidel went out and they saw him. Fidel walking through Havana, through the streets. A miracle. The people were crying, Chavez said.
Venezuela’’s socialist leader had received four letters from Castro a day before.
Of course he planned it all so there wouldn”t be any record of it or anything. There’’s a photo that I”ve seen, and in that sense I feel humbly privileged, Chavez said.
It wasn”t clear exactly when Castro took the walk.
During their meetings, Chavez and Castro discussed subjects including the world financial crisis and the new government of President Barack Obama, a Venezuelan statement said.
So far no images have been released of the meetings with Castro, whom Chavez views as an exemplary father for leftists across Latin America. (ANI)
- Chavez heads back to Venezuela - Mar 17, 2012
- Chavez returns to Cuba for treatment - Jul 18, 2011
- Cancer once made Chavez consider leaving politics - Sep 05, 2012
- Chavez back in Cuba for more surgery - Feb 26, 2012
- Chavez returns to Cuba for cancer treatment - Apr 09, 2012
- Ailing Chavez returns to Venezuela - Jul 05, 2011
- Fidel Castro amused by speculations about his death - Sep 11, 2011
- Fidel Castro meets cancer-stricken Hugo Chavez - Mar 03, 2012
- Chavez in Cuba for another round of cancer treatment - Apr 16, 2012
- Fidel Castro turns 85 - Aug 14, 2011
- Venezuelan president starts blogging - May 26, 2010
- Venezuela president goes for last chemotherapy session - Sep 18, 2011
- Chavez takes to Twitter after surgery - Mar 02, 2012
- Chavez says his progress is favourable - Mar 13, 2012
- Chavez to return to Venezuela this week - Apr 24, 2012
Tags: barack obama, brother raul, cuba fidel, cuban government, cuban leader fidel, cuban leader fidel castro, fidel castro, financial crisis, four letters, good shape, hugo chavez, intestinal surgery, latin america, leftists, president hugo chavez, raul castro, socialist leader, two and a half years, venezuelan president hugo, venezuelan president hugo chavez