Fidel Castro happy with Betancourt’s liberation, decries FARC actionJuly 5th, 2008 - 1:05 pm ICT by IANS
Havana, July 5 (IANS) Former Cuban leader Fidel Castro has expressed his happiness over the rescue of former Colombian presidential candidate Ingrid Betancourt and 14 other people held hostage by the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) insurgents and decried hostage-taking as unjustifiable. “Out of a basic sense of humanity, we were pleased to hear the news that Ingrid Betancourt, three American citizens and other captives had been freed,” EFE reported Saturday quoting Castro in an article released Thursday on the government web page Cubadebate.
Betancourt and 14 other hostages were liberated by the Colombian army’s commando group Wednesday in a dramatic mission.
“Civilians never should have been kidnapped, nor the soldiers kept as prisoners in jungle conditions. Those were objectively cruel actions,” said Castro, the author of Cuba’s 1959 revolution that unseated the Fulgenico Batista regime.
“No revolutionary purpose could justify it,” added the Cuban leader who stepped down last February owing to poor health.
He said that after the triumph of the 1959 revolution “the prisoners were immediately released without any condition”.
The left radical guerrilla group FARC, fighting successive elected Colombian governments for over 40 years, has been holding many high-profile hostages for years to press Bogota to swap with hundreds of their jailed compatriots.
- Che Guevara's motorcycle companion dead - Mar 06, 2011
- Colombia's FARC frees 10 captives - Apr 03, 2012
- Castro to release first volume of memoirs in August - Jul 28, 2010
- Fidel Castro makes rare public appearance - Jul 11, 2010
- Fidel Castro releases his book 'The Strategic Victory' - Aug 03, 2010
- Colombian boy walks 70 km to seek father's release - Jul 04, 2010
- Fidel Castro releases two-volume memoir - Feb 05, 2012
- Cuba celebrates 51 years of revolution - Jan 02, 2010
- No cease fire during talks with FARC: Colombian president - Sep 08, 2012
- Socialism can't resolve all ills: Fidel Castro (Lead) - Feb 05, 2012
- Cuba raps Facebook, YouTube - Jan 16, 2011
- Fidel Castro says US ready to order NATO invasion of Libya - Feb 23, 2011
- WHO praises Cuba's health care system - Mar 28, 2012
- Maradona expresses admiration of Castro - Jul 25, 2010
- Raul Castro hints at easing of Cuba's migration policy - Aug 02, 2011
Tags: american citizens, batista, captives, colombian army, commando group, compatriots, cuban leader fidel, cuban leader fidel castro, farc, fidel castro, government web, guerrilla group, havana, hostage, hostages, ingrid betancourt, poor health, presidential candidate, revolutionary armed forces of colombia, revolutionary armed forces of colombia farc