FIA set to hear Hamilton appealSeptember 21st, 2008 - 11:42 pm ICT by IANS
Paris, Sep 21 (DPA) Lewis Hamilton and his McLaren-Mercedes team enter Monday’s appeal against a Belgian Grand Prix penalty in a confident mood, with the British Formula One driver declaring himself “not guilty.”Hamilton is expected to appear in Paris before the appeals court of the ruling body FIA to plead his case.
A lot is at stake for Hamilton, who, if successful, would stretch his world championship lead over Ferrari driver Felipe Massa from one to seven points ahead of the final four season races.
Hamilton originally won the Belgian race in Spa, but later received a 25-second penalty from race stewards for an overtaking manoeuvre against world champion Kimi Raikkonen.
The officials said Hamilton gained an unfair advantage when he cut a chikane in the process and that he didn’t slow down long enough afterwards.
The penalty dropped Hamilton from first to third place, with the original second-place finisher Massa declared the winner.
The ruling drew widespread criticism and Mercedes motorsport chief Norbert Haug said ahead of the FIA hearing that “the facts clearly speak in Lewis’ favour”.
McLaren said that Hamilton slowed down to let Raikkonen pass before moving ahead of the Finn ahead at the next turn.
The FIA later clarified the rules, saying that in the future drivers who cut a chicane must wait for two turns before attempting to pass another driver.
Hamilton said he hoped that FIA will use the appeal to change its ruling. But he also said that a confirmation of the penalty will not be the end of the world for him and that he will fight on for the title.
- Alonso is toughest rival, says Massa - Sep 14, 2012
- McLaren lock front row in Italy - Sep 08, 2012
- Massa, Hamilton again collide - Oct 30, 2011
- Chinese GP: Rosberg takes maiden F1 pole, Force India out of top-10 - Apr 14, 2012
- Hamilton charges to pole in Hungarian GP - Jul 28, 2012
- Button wins in chaotic Belgian GP - Sep 02, 2012
- Massa tops practice two of Indian GP, Sutil 7th - Oct 28, 2011
- Untouchable Vettel wins Indian GP - Oct 30, 2011
- Canadian GP: Hamilton 7th different winner in 2012 - Jun 11, 2012
- Maldonado wins maiden F1 race, Hulkenberg comes 10th - May 13, 2012
- Hamilton surprised by Monza pole - Sep 09, 2012
- German GP: Alonso cruises to season's third win - Jul 22, 2012
- Vettel wins Bahrain GP, Force India's Di Resta finishes sixth - Apr 23, 2012
- Hamilton glides to Monza victory - Sep 09, 2012
- German GP: Alonso zooms to second straight pole - Jul 21, 2012