Federer wins French Open to complete Grand SlamJune 7th, 2009 - 10:16 pm ICT by IANS
Paris, June 7 (DPA) Roger Federer defeated Robin Soderling 6-1, 7-6 (7-1), 6-4 in the French Open final Sunday to become the sixth man in tennis history to win all four Grand Slam titles.
The second-seeded Federer took one hour and 55 minutes to beat the 23rd-seeded Swede Soderling, who had upset four-time winner and world number one Rafael Nadal earlier in the tournament.
Federer joined Fred Perry, Don Budge, Roy Emerson, Rod Laver and Andre Agassi as winners of all four majors.
The Swiss also drew even with Pete Sampras on a record 14 Grand Slam victories, his other wins being five each at Wimbledon and the US Open and three Australian Opens.
- Leading Grand Slam winners - Jul 09, 2012
- Nadal wins US Open for career Grand Slam - Sep 14, 2010
- Nadal wins US Open to seal career Grand Slam - Sep 14, 2010
- Federer makes history with French Open title (Lead) - Jun 07, 2009
- Nadal advances to US Open semi-finals - Sep 10, 2010
- Nadal completes career Grand Slam with US Open victory (Lead) - Sep 14, 2010
- US Open: Djokovic, Federer, Williams advance as retirements continue - Sep 04, 2011
- Nadal faces huge battle to complete career Grand Slam at US Open - Jul 06, 2010
- Federer beats Djokovic to reach Wimbledon final - Jul 06, 2012
- Nadal overpowers Federer to reach Australian Open final - Jan 26, 2012
- Nadal beats Federer, wins sixth French Open crown (Lead) - Jun 06, 2011
- Australian Open: Nadal overcomes Berdych, to meet Federer in semis (Roundup) - Jan 24, 2012
- Australian Open: Top seeds advance to second round (Roundup) - Jan 16, 2012
- List of Roger Federer's Grand Slam titles - Jul 09, 2012
- Federer clinches 70th career title at ATP Finals - Nov 28, 2011
Tags: andre agassi, don budge, dpa, fred perry, french open, grand slam titles, grand slam victories, majors, pete sampras, rafael nadal, robin soderling, rod laver, roger federer, roy emerson, sixth man, swede, swiss, tennis history, time winner, wimbledon