Federer says he, not Nadal favourite to win Wimbledon againJune 23rd, 2008 - 2:50 pm ICT by ANI
London, June 23 (ANI): Rejecting former Wimbledon champion Bjorn Borgs contention that Spaniard Rafael Nadal is the favourite to win this years championship, incumbent Roger Federer insists that he is still the favourite to win it for a sixth successive time.
Borg has said that Federer was only his third favourite to win the championship, behind Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic at one and two respectively.
World No 1 Fed, 26, has not enjoyed a good year by his standards, losing in the semi-finals of the Australian Open before being humiliated 6-1 6-3 6-0 by world No 2 Nadal in the final of the French Open.
“I feel I’m the big favourite for Wimbledon. It’s a huge year for me, going for my sixth. It’s not disappointing to hear what Bjorn said, it’s just different. I’m surprised, let’s put it that way. It’s his opinion. I don’t mind, The Sun quoted the Swiss tennis star, as saying.
“Getting the fifth title was a dream come true already. It’s something that’s going to be very hard to match in future. I hope I can match Pete Sampras’ record of seven Wimbledons. That’s my focus, he added.
Federer, first on Centre Court today against Dominik Hrbaty, has blocked out the pasting by Nadal in Paris. (ANI)
- Leading Grand Slam winners - Jul 09, 2012
- Federer beats Djokovic to reach Wimbledon final - Jul 06, 2012
- Djokovic: Taking on Nadal in French Open final is ultimate challenge - Jun 09, 2012
- Nadal, Djokovic eyeing history in French Open final (Lead) - Jun 09, 2012
- Nadal beats Federer, wins sixth French Open crown (Lead) - Jun 06, 2011
- Djokovic overcomes Nadal to win US Open - Sep 13, 2011
- Federer clinches 70th career title at ATP Finals - Nov 28, 2011
- Nadal wins record seventh French Open (Lead) - Jun 11, 2012
- Djokovic beats Nadal to win maiden Wimbledon title (Lead) - Jul 04, 2011
- Nadal beats Murray, to meet Djokovic in Wimbledon final (Lead) - Jul 02, 2011
- Nadal calls the Australian Open final as his toughest match - Jan 30, 2012
- Nadal one win away from French Open title record - Jun 09, 2012
- Djokovic beats Nadal to win Madrid Masters - May 09, 2011
- Djokovic pips Nadal to win longest Grand Slam final - Jan 29, 2012
- Indian Wells: Federer thrashes Nadal, Isner shocks Djokovic - Mar 18, 2012
Tags: australian open, borg, contention, dominik hrbaty, french open, good year, incumbent, june 23, novak djokovic, paris, pete sampras, rafael nadal, roger federer, semi finals, spaniard, swiss tennis, tennis star, wimbledon, wimbledon champion, wimbledons