Federer says he has asked IMG chief about betting allegationNovember 10th, 2010 - 2:29 pm ICT by ANI
New York/Paris, Nov.10 (ANI): Tennis champion Roger Federer has reportedly approached sports and media conglomerate IMG for clarifications on his role in allegations of a breach of contract filed against Theodore J. Forstmann, one of the founding partners of Forstmann Little and Company, a private equity firm, and chairman and CEO of IMG.
Agate Printing, Inc. is suing Forstmann, 70, in Los Angeles County Superior Court for fraud, interference with contract and breach of contract.
In the complaint, Jim Agate, the head of Agate Printing, is seeking extensive damages for lost business that he claims Forstmann promised him?
Agate also contends that he served as a conduit for hundreds of bets totaling millions of dollars that Forstmann placed on sporting events, including the 2007 French Open final, which Federer lost to Rafael Nadal.
Federer, the Swiss star who is in Paris for this week’s BNP Paribas Masters event, has denied that he was aware that Forstmann was betting on that 2007 match and denied any involvement with gambling.
“I would never do such a thing.” Federer, whose agent, Tony Godsick, works for IMG.
He said he has contacted Forstmann for clarification after learning of the lawsuit.
“I reached out and told him I want to know everything about it, how this came about,” Federer said.
“And he’s been, you know, nice enough obviously to tell me from his side and has been very open in the press already. So that’s O.K. He’s not my agent. Tony is my guy, but still, it’s a firm that does a lot in sports, so it’s just something that for me is important to know what is going on from their side, too,” he added.
According to the New York Times, Forstmann has acknowledged betting on Federer to win the 2007 French Open final and of gambling on sports in general.
But he has rejected the claims in the lawsuit, questioned Jim Agate’s credibility and denied receiving inside information from Federer. (ANI)
- Man suing Federer's manager 'has new evidence to prove betting claims' - Oct 16, 2010
- Tiger Woods, Roger Federer manager sued over alleged shady betting - Oct 14, 2010
- Tiger Woods manager demands extortion investigation - Oct 15, 2010
- Betting claims '100 pc not true', says Roger Federer - Oct 16, 2010
- Padma Lakshmi's beau Theodore Teddy Forstmann dies - Nov 22, 2011
- AIFF to sign Rs.700 crore deal with Reliance-IMG - Dec 08, 2010
- Socialite Paris Hilton sued for million for $35 million by Hairtech International Inc. - Aug 13, 2010
- Agassi favours Nadal for French Open title - Jun 05, 2011
- Subcontinent gambles $50 bn on cricket, London court told - Oct 06, 2011
- List of French Open winners in last 10 years - Jun 11, 2012
- AIFF signs Rs.700 crore deal with RIL-IMG - Dec 09, 2010
- Paris Hilton Owes $160,000 To World Entertainment Group? - Sep 07, 2010
- Beckham set to stay with LA Galaxy - Jan 03, 2012
- Call for legalising sports betting - Jun 06, 2012
- Padma Lakshmi celebrates 40th b'day with Moulin Rouge-themed bash - Sep 10, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,