Fear of uprising may affect Easter celebration in ChinaApril 18th, 2011 - 5:16 pm ICT by ANI
Beijing, Apr 18 (ANI): Many Christians in China have expressed concern about the country’s house church leaders’ decision to hold another outdoor service on Easter Sunday.
Recently, Beijing police detained nearly 50 church members, including its two pastors from a house church-one not formally recognized by the Government, as they tried to hold services in a public space after they were evicted from their usual place of worship.
The leaders of the Shouwang Church, one of the largest house churches, said they would practice their prayers outdoors again on Easter Sunday unless they are given permission to celebrate the mass indoors at their usual premises.
Meanwhile, the leader of another prominent Beijing house church said he has been under regular surveillance and an off-and-on informal house arrest for most of the past two months, The Globe and Mail reports.
Only officially sanctioned churches are considered legal in China. In practice, however, semi-underground “house churches” have been widely tolerated and allowed to flourish in recent years.
The house church movement now has an estimated 60 million members, compared with 20 million who belong to the official organizations. (ANI)
- Chinese police arrest Christians during Easter service - Apr 25, 2011
- Chinese Police halt unapproved church service, detain worshipers - Apr 11, 2011
- China jails five underground church leaders - Nov 27, 2009
- Good Friday observed with prayers and fast - Apr 22, 2011
- With prayers, feasts, Delhi celebrates Easter - Apr 08, 2012
- Capital celebrates Easter with fun, fervour - Apr 24, 2011
- China puts into place new smoking ban - May 02, 2011
- Crystal Cathedral's senior pastor Sheila Schuller Coleman is all set to start a new church - Mar 12, 2012
- Easter bomb blast kills at least 38 in Kaduna, Nigeria - Apr 10, 2012
- Happy Easter, says B-town - Apr 08, 2012
- Bush visits controversial Beijing church - Aug 10, 2008
- Easter celebrated with prayers in northeast India - Apr 04, 2010
- Obama attends historic Washington church on Easter - Apr 25, 2011
- Fear grows as Nepal church escapes bomb attack - Aug 29, 2011
- New bishop for post left vacant for 48 years in China - Jul 15, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,