Fear of Taliban nixes locals plan to join security force in Pak tribal areasNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:15 am ICT by admin
According to a Daily Times report, the local Taliban has warned the people in the area against joining the force. Also, the US government is yet to provide the promised 38-million-dollar assistance for the project, which was approved a year ago.
The recruitment process is going on in Mohmand and Khyber agencies, but despite repeated advertisements and announcements, young men in North and South Waziristan are unwilling to join the force.
Under the plan, 500 men each were to be recruited from Mohmand and Khyber agencies, and 900 each from North Waziristan and South Waziristan to maintain peace and prevent drug trafficking.
However, the paper said, Interior Ministry officials were questioning whether the new force would be able to maintain peace in the tribal region where around 80,000 army troops, over 30,000 Frontier Constabulary personnel and paramilitary forces such as the Mohmand Rifles, Bajaur Scouts, Mahsud Scouts, Tochi Scouts have already failed to deliver. (ANI)
- 15 abducted Pakistani troopers killed - Jan 05, 2012
- Suicide blast kills nine Pakistani troopers (Lead) - Dec 24, 2011
- Pakistan has permanently stopped NATO supply: Minister - Nov 28, 2011
- 10 militants killed in Pakistan - Apr 27, 2010
- Five troopers killed in Pakistan suicide bombing - Dec 24, 2011
- 61 militants killed in Pakistan's Khyber Agency - Nov 30, 2009
- British trainers of Pakistan paramilitary withdrawn - Jun 27, 2011
- Militants ambush Pakistani troops, killing 9 soldiers - Oct 18, 2011
- Don't remove Frontier Constabulary from Islamabad: Police chief - Mar 29, 2010
- Taliban remain deadly threat in Peshawar despite Pak Army's 'purging' claims - Oct 18, 2010
- 25 Pakistani troopers killed in Taliban attack: Army - Aug 27, 2011
- Pak provincial government calls for emergency army action in Peshawar - Jun 28, 2010
- Author Greg Mortenson to be sued by Pakistan tribesmen - Apr 21, 2011
- 14 security officials killed in militant ambush in Pak's Khyber tribal region - Mar 29, 2011
- Pakistan to create immigration system along Afghan border - Oct 20, 2011
Tags: army troops, be recruited, constabulary, drug trafficking, frontier regions, interior ministry, khyber, million dollar, ministry officials, north waziristan, paramilitary forces, peace, rifles, security force, south waziristan, taliban, tribal areas