FBI uncovers nine million dollar ATM scamFebruary 4th, 2009 - 5:29 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Feb 4 (ANI): Hackers orchestrated a highly coordinated, global attack on ATM cards involving the theft of a staggering nine million dollar from bank customers, and they could strike again.
Customers personal information might also have been compromised in what federal agents are calling one of the most well-coordinated such schemes theyve seen, MyFOXNY.com reported.
The FBI said it uncovered the plot and is investigating. The alleged hackers are still at large and could orchestrate another attack.
In a matter of hours, thieves struck ATMs from 49 different cities including New York, Atlanta, Chicago, Moscow and Montreal on November 8, the FBI said.
Part of the heist was caught on security camera images obtained by the TV station. The photos show people the FBI calls cashers low-level participants in the plot who allegedly used bogus ATM cards with stolen information at the machines.
The scheme worked as follows: Plotters hacked into a computer system for a company called RBS WorldPay, which allows employers to transfer workers pay directly to a payroll card.
The scam artists were then able to infiltrate the system and steal personal data needed to make duplicate ATM cards.
Weve seen similar attempts to defraud a bank through ATM machines but not anywhere near the scale we have here, FBI Agent Ross Rice said. Weve never seen one this well coordinated, he added.
The FBI has no suspects and has made no arrests so far. (ANI)
- Now withdraw cash with your phone - Jun 13, 2012
- US charges hackers in high-profile cyber attack - Mar 07, 2012
- Romanian national convicted within ATM "skimming" scheme in Connecticut - Mar 11, 2010
- Banks to be held responsible for fake notes in ATMs - Jan 27, 2012
- 300,000 computers with deadly virus to lose internet: FBI - Jul 08, 2012
- ATMs Robbed With The Aid Of A Napkin By Innovative Thief - Nov 10, 2010
- Computers with deadly virus to lose web link: FBI - Jul 05, 2012
- Future ATMs may play ads before you get your money - Mar 14, 2012
- Fake ATM dupes bank customers in China - Jun 24, 2010
- Pain forces US prof to remove part of video cam implanted in his head - Feb 10, 2011
- Gitanjali group inaugurates first gold-dispensing ATM - Oct 22, 2011
- ATM card racket busted - Jan 13, 2012
- Hackers claim hacking of FBI laptop, post 1 million Apple device IDs - Sep 05, 2012
- UAE bank to acquire Royal Bank of Scotland's retail business - Jun 17, 2010
- Now, a 24-hour ATM-like cup-cake machine - Jun 20, 2012
Tags: atm cards, atm machines, bank customers, camera images, computer system, fbi, fbi agent, federal agents, global attack, heist, payroll card, personal data, plotters, rbs, ross rice, scam artists, security camera, thieves, tv station, worldpay