FBI may use jihadist video to solve Somali-American terror caseApril 3rd, 2009 - 1:55 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Apr 3 (ANI): A 30-minute video posted this week on a jihadist Web site may be used by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) to solve a terror-related case involving Somali-Americans.
According to Fox News, the FBI has been investigating at least 20 Somali-American men from the Minneapolis area and elsewhere in the United States who traveled to war-torn Somalia to join an Al Qaeda-linked terrorist group known as al-Shabaab.
One top-ranking official said it’s “clear” that the Internet played a role in radicalizing and recruiting these young men.
The video is a highly polished production, featuring anti-American hip-hop and sporadic images of Osama bin Laden. In much of the video, a man dubbed “The American” purportedly leads a group of al-Shabaab militants in an ambush of Ethiopian forces, which oppose an Islamic state and have backed the new Somali government.
The Washington-based Middle East Media Research Institute (MEMRI) has identified “The American” as Abu Mansur al-Amriki, and described the video as a “clear appeal to foreign youth, especially in English-speaking countries, to join the jihad in Somalia.”
The FBI investigation into how young American men were recruited to join al-Shabaab in Somalia is active in Columbus, Ohio; Cincinnati, Ohio; Boston; Seattle; and San Diego, according to testimony from counter-terrorism officials and others at the Senate hearing last month.
But reports from around the world suggest young Muslims from other Western countries, namely Canada, Australia and England, are also being recruited to join the fight in Somalia.
U.S. officials declined to comment specifically on whether officials from those countries have been working with the FBI. (ANI)
- American Al Qaeda holds rare news conference in Somalia - Apr 06, 2009
- 'The American' leading al Qaeda in Somalia awaits terrorism charges back home - Sep 05, 2009
- US homegrown Somali radicals back after terror mission - Mar 20, 2009
- Uganda bomb blast shows Al Shabaab's intent to attack the US homeland - Jul 13, 2010
- Somalia-based al-Shabaab may attack US: FBI Director - Oct 03, 2009
- Somalia-based American jihadist using Rap music to attract Western recruits - May 20, 2010
- US-born 'Jihadist Next Door" Omar Hammami emerging as "the next" Anwar Awlaki: Experts - Aug 07, 2010
- 14 hurt in Nairobi grenade attack - Oct 24, 2011
- Two American men plead guilty to terrorism conspiracy charge - Mar 04, 2011
- Two men arrested in New York for plotting jihad - Jun 07, 2010
- British Muslims on jehad trip to Somalia: WikiLeaks - Feb 04, 2011
- Kenyan police nab over 130 immigrants - Jul 10, 2012
- Kenya seals border with Somalia - Feb 12, 2012
- Two Somalian Americans arrested for collecting funds for terror group Al Shabab - Aug 06, 2010
- Al Qaeda suspect breaches Olympic area ban five times - Jul 08, 2012
Tags: american men, canada australia, cincinnati ohio, counter terrorism, english speaking countries, fbi investigation, federal bureau of investigation, fox news, investigation fbi, islamic state, jihad, jihadist web site, mansur, memri, minneapolis area, osama bin laden, senate hearing, somali government, terrorist group, western countries