FBI cracks down on mafia, arrests more than 100January 21st, 2011 - 11:38 am ICT by IANS
New York, Jan 21 (IANS/EFE) The FBI and other US agencies arrested more than 110 people Thursday in a massive operation targeting organised crime in the Northeast and New England, Attorney General Eric Holder said.”This is one of the largest single-day operations against the mafia in the FBI’s history, both in terms of the number of defendants arrested and charged, and the scope of the criminal activity alleged,” he told a press conference in Brooklyn, New York.
The defendants include reputed members of all five New York-based families: the Bonanno, Colombo, Gambino, Genovese and Lucchese outfits, Holder said.
Also indicted were members and associates of New Jersey’s DeCavalcante family and the New England-based Patriarca organization.
“Today’s arrests mark an important, and encouraging, step forward in disrupting La Cosa Nostra’s operations. But our battle against organised crime enterprises is far from over,” he said.
The defendants face charges that include murder, drug trafficking, extortion, illegal gambling, arson, loan sharking and labour racketeering.
“Some allegations involve classic mob hits to eliminate perceived rivals. Others involve senseless murders,” the attorney general said, citing a case where two people were allegedly gunned down in a bar after an argument over a spilled drink.
Some 800 federal, state and local law enforcement personnel took part in the arrests.
- U.S. arrests 127 suspects in massive operation against mobsters - Jan 21, 2011
- 37 held in New York for drug smuggling - Jun 16, 2011
- Former New England Mafia Head Luigi Manocchio Arrested - Jan 21, 2011
- Arthur Nigro: Former Boss of Genovese Organized Crime Family charged for murder in NY - Feb 18, 2010
- Fugitive Italian mafia leader arrested - May 04, 2012
- Accused mobster lives as Idaho rancher - Feb 10, 2011
- FBI nabs mob boss James 'Whitey' Bulger after 16-year search - Jun 23, 2011
- Italian president warns of wave of violence - May 24, 2012
- Police move to crush mafia in Italy - Jul 13, 2010
- Italian Police seize 'mafia assets' worth $1.9 bn - Sep 15, 2010
- FBI probes News Corp activities in US - Jul 15, 2011
- US scientist, wife held for selling N-weapon detail - Sep 18, 2010
- 20 charged with $200 mn health care fraud in US - Feb 16, 2011
- Russian gang nabbed in US for $279 mn fraud - Mar 01, 2012
- Silvio Berlusconi's ally had links with Sicilian mafia, rule judges - Nov 20, 2010
Tags: arson, bonanno, brooklyn new york, decavalcante family, drug trafficking, eric holder, extortion, face charges, illegal gambling, jan 21, la cosa nostra, loan sharking, mafia, massive operation, murders, new england, patriarca, rivals, single day, spilled drink