FBI concerned about ”cybergeddon” hitting US nextJanuary 7th, 2009 - 10:23 pm ICT by ANI
New York, Jan.7 (ANI):Cyber attacks pose the greatest threat to the United States after nuclear war and weapons of mass destruction - and they are increasingly hard to prevent, FBI experts say.
Shawn Henry, assistant director of the FBI’’s cyber division, told a conference in New York that computer attacks pose the biggest risk “from a national security perspective, other than a weapon of mass destruction or a bomb in one of our major cities”.
“Other than a nuclear device or some other type of destructive weapon, the threat to our infrastructure, the threat to our intelligence, the threat to our computer network is the most critical threat we face,” news.com.au quoted him as saying further.
US experts warn of “cybergeddon”, in which an advanced economy - where almost everything of importance is linked to or controlled by computers - falls prey to hackers, with catastrophic results.
Michael Balboni, deputy secretary for public safety in New York state, described “a huge threat out there” against everything from banking institutions to municipal water systems and dams.
Henry said terrorist groups aim for an online 9/11, “inflicting the same kind of damage on our country, on all our countries, on all our networks, as they did in 2001 by flying planes into buildings”.
A web attack of that scale has not yet happened in the US, but computer hacking - once something of a sport for brilliant delinquents - is rapidly evolving around the world as a weapon of war. (ANI)
- US, China engaging in cyber war games: Report - Apr 16, 2012
- Terrorists' cyber super-weapon sparks doomsday fear - Dec 06, 2011
- Cyber arms race could change the world around us (Comment) - Jun 27, 2012
- India creating architecture to ensure cyber security: NSA - May 16, 2012
- FBI agents lack necessary skills to investigate cyber espionage cases: Report - Apr 28, 2011
- 'Cybergeddon' trailer set for digital premiere Sep 25 - Sep 08, 2012
- Security expert rules out cyber warfare - Oct 19, 2011
- Obama urges Congress to pass cybersecurity bill - Jul 20, 2012
- Banning social media threat to democracy: Ankit Fadia - Jan 24, 2012
- To bust Chinese hackers, NATO sees an ally in India - Sep 09, 2011
- Stuxnet worm 'nuclear spies' arrested, claims Iranian Minister Moslehi - Oct 03, 2010
- N-security, proliferation serious threats around India: PM - Oct 11, 2011
- China-wary India developing space security systems - Nov 16, 2011
- Cyber weapon Stuxnet targeted for Iran, but can be turned on US: Experts - Feb 01, 2011
- 90,000 email addresses hacked from US military contractor - Jul 12, 2011
Tags: banking institutions, catastrophic results, computer attacks, computer hacking, critical threat, cyber attacks, cyber division, delinquents, deputy secretary, director of the fbi, fbi experts, michael balboni, municipal water systems, news com au, nuclear device, security perspective, shawn henry, weapon of mass destruction, weapons of mass destruction, web attack