Faulty flatscreen TVs setting houses ablazeFebruary 25th, 2008 - 5:59 pm ICT by admin
Melbourne, Feb 25 (ANI): Flatscreen televisions are setting an increasing number of houses on fire, Queensland Fire and Rescue Service figures reveals.
According to the figures, televisions have set almost 70 houses on fire in the past five years, with more than 50 percent those causing extensive damage.
However, other appliances added to a much larger proportion of the 5251 fires started by electrical equipment in the period, reports News.com.au.
Surfers Paradise fire station officer Mark Gribble revealed an incident when a flatscreen television was left in stand-by mode and it caused fire in the house at Mermaid Waters last week.
When fire crew reached at the loaction, they found the house was heavily smoke-logged to waist height and flames were coming out of the window.
The damaged caused by the fire left the owner with a bill likely into thousands.
In 2007, thousands of German-made Loewe television sets were recalled in Australia because of the possible fire risk.
At the time, the company said: “Faults could arise at certain soldered points which could lead to overheating of the set and, in the worst case, to a danger of fire”.
According to television electrician, Mike Cook of Atlas Electronics, flatscreen televisions generally were safe. (ANI)
Tags: atlas electronics, electrical equipment, electrician, fire crew, fire risk, fire station, flatscreen television, flatscreen televisions, flatscreen tvs, gribble, loewe television, mermaid waters, mike cook, news com au, queensland fire and rescue, queensland fire and rescue service, stand by mode, surfers paradise, television sets, waist height