Fatah movement calls for dialogue with rival HamasMay 20th, 2008 - 6:41 pm ICT by admin
Gaza, May 20 (Xinhua) An official from Palestinian Fatah movement Tuesday called on his group and rival Islamic Hamas movement to launch a dialogue in order to overcome the widening crisis. Zakaria al-Agha, Fatah’s representative in Gaza, said the dialogue “should work on overcoming Israel’s blockade on Gaza Strip and putting pressure on Israel.”
Israel imposes a siege on Gaza Strip and intensifies military operations in response to Hamas’ seizure of control inside the coastal enclave after it routed Fatah about one year ago.
The Gaza takeover ended a power struggle, which started between Hamas and Fatah when the Hamas won parliamentary elections in 2006.
President Mahmoud Abbas of Fatah bans talks with Hamas unless it gives up its control on the coastal Strip.
- Palestinian reconciliation unlikely in 2012: Hamas official - Mar 31, 2012
- Dozens of Palestinians wounded in clashes with Israeli soldiers - Mar 31, 2012
- Early Palestinian elections to be proposed - Oct 02, 2011
- Palestinian rivals prepare for Cairo summit - Nov 13, 2011
- Egypt opens Rafah crossing for stranded Palestinians - May 15, 2010
- Hamas leader to attend NAM summit in Iran - Aug 25, 2012
- Gaza-bound ship refuses Israeli order to change course (Lead) - Jun 05, 2010
- Palestine: Fatah, Hamas reach agreement on reconciliation - Apr 28, 2011
- Israel decides to ease Gaza land blockade (Lead) - Jun 17, 2010
- Israeli Navy seizes Gaza-bound aid ship (Second lead) - Jun 05, 2010
- Hamas, Fatah leaders to finalize reconciliation deal - Oct 13, 2011
- Israeli planes attack Hamas sites in Gaza - Feb 26, 2011
- Hamas, Fatah to finalise unity government talks next week - Jun 15, 2011
- Israel should open Gaza crossings: EU - Jul 19, 2010
- Arab League chief calls for breaking Gaza siege - Jun 13, 2010
Tags: al agha, blockade, coastal strip, enclave, fatah, fatah movement, gaza strip, hamas, hamas and fatah, hamas movement, israel israel, mahmoud abbas, military operations, palestinian, parliamentary elections, power struggle, president mahmoud abbas, seizure, takeover, xinhua