Faster broadband services threaten creating “digital ghettos” among ethnic communities in OzMarch 9th, 2011 - 5:16 pm ICT by ANI
Canberra, Mar 9 (ANI): Australia’s Special Broadcasting Service (SBS) has warned that faster broadband services could make ethnic communities more isolated by creating “digital ghettos”.
The multicultural and multilingual broadcaster expressed its concern about better access to overseas websites in a written submission to a parliamentary inquiry. The documents were submitted to the House of Representatives committee on communications, which is due to visit Tasmania on Thursday, news.com,au reports.
“The ubiquitous nature of broadband increases the possible formation of ‘digital ghettos’ among Australia’s culturally and linguistically diverse communities,” it said.
Although SBS acknowledged some benefits of the National Broadband Network (NBN), it raised concerns that the ethnic tribes could “retreat inward” if they feel threatened. (ANI)
- Oz faces ethnic divide over unknowingly buying livestock slaughtered "in the name of Allah" - Feb 09, 2011
- Oz at risk of developing parallel societies that buys livestock slaughtered "in the name of Allah" - Feb 09, 2011
- Oz Liberal party divided over Bernardi's "Islam is problem, not Muslims" claims - Feb 20, 2011
- Victorian Premier Brumby wins 2010 Mahatma Gandhi Peace Award - Oct 13, 2010
- Quarter of Australians 'racist' towards Asians: Poll - Feb 23, 2011
- Australia to unveil new Multiculturalism Policy to tackle racial discrimination - Feb 16, 2011
- Australian distrust of Muslims widespread: Rights report - Mar 21, 2011
- Sex scandals harming Australia's national security: Defense Minister - Apr 06, 2011
- New race policy 'helps not hinders' fight against crime: W. Australia police chief - Nov 29, 2010
- Google unveils new ultra-high speed internet - Jul 27, 2012
- Infotel Broadband acquires stake in e-learning firm - Nov 08, 2011
- Australian prisons face danger of HIV epidemic - Oct 16, 2011
- Australia's New South Wales has most racial tensions - Feb 23, 2011
- Disasters hold back Queensland Tourism's Million Dollar Memo campaign - Mar 22, 2011
- African Union summit concludes with package of agreements (Second Lead) - Jan 31, 2012
Tags: broadband services, broadcaster, canberra, diverse communities, ethnic communities, ethnic tribes, ghettos, house of representatives, national broadband network, news com au, overseas websites, oz, parliamentary inquiry, representatives committee, special broadcasting service, special broadcasting service sbs, submission, tasmania, thursday news, ubiquitous nature