Fast bowler Southee included in New Zealand squadMarch 31st, 2009 - 3:58 pm ICT by IANS
Napier, March 31 (IANS) New Zealand have included fast bowler Tim Southee for the third and final cricket Test against India beginning at Wellington’s Basin Reserve Friday.
Top order batsman Daniel Flynn, recovering well from a bruised left hand after being struck by a ball in the first Test at Hamilton, has also been included in the 13-member squad announced Tuesday.
Selection panel head Glenn Turner said Flynn, who sat out the second Test at Napier which ended in a draw, was expected to be fit to play but this would be confirmed before the Test.
“In the interim, Jamie How will remain with the squad as cover for Flynn,” Turner said.
Southee, who played in the third One-dayer against India recording figures of 0-105 off 10 overs, had been brought back into the squad after good performances in recent State Championship games, including a five-wicket haul against Canterbury.
“Tim’s inclusion gives us additional options with the new ball, and strengthens the attack against this strong Indian batting lineup,” Turner said.
Fellow Northern Districts bowler Brent Arnel had not been able to prove his fitness and was not considered for selection.
All rounder Jacob Oram was also not considered as he continues to recover from injury.
India lead the Test series 1-0 after their 10-wicket win in the first Test.
New Zealand squad:
Daniel Vettori (captain), Daniel Flynn, James Franklin, Martin Guptill, Brendon McCullum, Tim McIntosh, Chris Martin, Kyle Mills, Iain O’Brien, Jeetan Patel, Jesse Ryder, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor.
- Tuffey replaces injured McKay in New Zealand test squad - Jan 05, 2011
- New Zealand opt to bat against India - Nov 12, 2010
- New Zealand names two uncapped players for India Tests - Oct 24, 2010
- New Zealand include seven rookies among World Cup probables - Dec 22, 2010
- New Zealand drops Fulton for Napier Test - Dec 07, 2009
- James Franklin left out of New Zealand Cricket contract - Jul 01, 2011
- New Zealand choose to bat against India - Aug 31, 2012
- New Zealand announces two new Test caps for India tour - Oct 24, 2010
- Martin gets 'surprise' New Zealand Cricket contract renewal - Jul 20, 2010
- Kiwi opener McIntosh wants to settle scores with India's Zak in Hyderabad - Nov 11, 2010
- Franklin joins New Zealand squad for Hamilton Test - Mar 25, 2010
- Jamie How called as cover for Daniel Flynn - Mar 24, 2009
- Pakistan routs 'self-destructing' Kiwis by 10 wickets to win Hamilton Test - Jan 09, 2011
- India look to extending Test cricket domination - Nov 03, 2010
- Kiwi pacer Arnel all set to debut against Australia - Mar 18, 2010
Tags: arnel, basin reserve, brendon mccullum, captain daniel, cricket test, daniel vettori, dayer, glenn turner, guptill, jacob oram, james franklin, jeetan patel, kyle mills, member squad, o brien, ross taylor, selection panel, state championship games, tim mcintosh, wicket haul