FARC rebels promise to release six hostagesDecember 22nd, 2008 - 2:31 pm ICT by IANS
Bogota, Dec 22 (DPA) Colombia’s leftist FARC rebels have said that they would unilaterally release six hostages next month, Anncol news agency reported.The hostages, including former provincial governor Alan Jara, regional representative Sigifredo Lopez, three police officers and a soldier, are to be handed over to opposition Senator Piedad Cordoba in early January, according to a text from FARC’s leading secretariat obtained by the news agency Sunday.
“As a clear sign of our will and as a gesture to establish the favourable framework for a humanitarian exchange, we announce the unilateral release of six prisoners in two phases,” the Marxist group wrote.
The police officers and the soldier are to be released first, followed by the politicians.
The Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC), which has been engaged in a conflict with the government for decades, also unilaterally released six hostages at the beginning of 2008.
However a hoped-for exchange in July that would have swapped 50 high-profile hostages for 500 imprisoned guerrillas fell through after the military rescue of former presidential candidate Ingrid Bentancourt and 14 others, including several US contractors.
Since then, FARC has taken another 20 hostages and is believed to be holding up to 700 people captive.
The rebels and the government of conservative President Alvaro Uribe could never agree to a framework for a prisoner exchange.
- Colombia's FARC frees 10 captives - Apr 03, 2012
- Colombia rebels appear to soften terms for prisoner swap - Feb 10, 2009
- Colombian rebels to free six hostages - Jan 31, 2009
- Colombian rebels confusing people, says President Uribe - Feb 08, 2009
- Colombia's FARC rebels release four hostages - Feb 02, 2009
- Colombian rebels release another politician hostage - Feb 06, 2009
- FARC rebels release Colombian soldier after one year - Mar 29, 2010
- Colombian rebels to release long-held captive - Apr 17, 2009
- No cease fire during talks with FARC: Colombian president - Sep 08, 2012
- Colombian rebels to release one of the longest held hostages in the world - Mar 30, 2010
- Colombian boy walks 70 km to seek father's release - Jul 04, 2010
- FARC rebels release French reporter - May 31, 2012
- Colombian rebel forces release video of hostages, one of them kidnapped over 12 years ago - Jun 08, 2010
- Man gets 24 years for Colombian journalist's killing - Feb 07, 2012
- 12 rebels die in Colombian air strike - Jul 07, 2010
Tags: conservative president, farc rebels, humanitarian exchange, piedad cordoba, prisoner exchange, provincial governor, regional representative, revolutionary armed forces of colombia, revolutionary armed forces of colombia farc, six hostages