FARC rebels kill 18 in ColombiaFebruary 10th, 2009 - 12:25 pm ICT by IANS
Bogota, Feb 10 (IANS) At least 18 people have been killed by leftist rebels in a settlement in Colombia, EFE news agency reported Tuesday.
According to the National Indigenous Organization of Colombia (ONIC), the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) guerrillas have killed at least 18 Awa Indians in recent days in southwestern Colombia’s Narino province. It feared that the death toll could be even higher.
“We fear from the fragmentary information received that as many as 18 could have died,” ONIC President Luis Evelis Andrade said, warning that the magnitude of the incident will only be known when a commission of Indians from the area reach Pasto, the provincial capital.
The Indian leader said that the people were killed between Feb 4-6 on the Tortugana Telembi reservation.
Awa leaders in recent times have reported death threats from FARC guerrillas, who blame the Indians for President Alvaro Uribe’s recent decision to establish the so-called Unified Southern Command in that region, the ONIC president said.
“What has occurred creates a really delicate situation, and we suspect that (the killers) were the FARC,” Andrade said.
- 12 rebels die in Colombian air strike - Jul 07, 2010
- Four dead in Colombia bus attack - Jun 21, 2012
- 39 killed in Colombia clashes - Nov 11, 2009
- No grudges at talks with Colombian government: FARC - Sep 04, 2012
- Eight miners killed in Colombia - Apr 09, 2010
- 22 rebels killed in Colombia - Sep 20, 2010
- 8 dead, 70 trapped in Colombia mine explosion - Jun 17, 2010
- FARC rebels kill four people in southern Colombia - Jan 14, 2009
- 10 police officers killed in Colombia - Sep 11, 2010
- Bomb strapped to horse wounds two Colombian soldiers - Jul 12, 2011
- Colombian rebels kill 12 soldiers - May 22, 2012
- Colombian rebel groups join forces to fight against government - Dec 17, 2009
- Colombian military kills about 60 alleged rebels - Sep 21, 2010
- 12 Colombian rebels killed - Jul 12, 2010
- Ecuador, Colombia unfreeze relations - Feb 12, 2010
Tags: bogota, death threats, death toll, delicate situation, efe news agency, farc, farc rebels, guerrillas, indian leader, indians, indigenous organization, killers, leftist rebels, magnitude, onic, president alvaro uribe, president luis, provincial capital, revolutionary armed forces of colombia, revolutionary armed forces of colombia farc