Family robs gas station - of chocolates, cigarettesMay 16th, 2011 - 11:44 am ICT by IANS
Kuala Lumpur, May 16 (IANS) It was an armed robbery with a difference. An entire family raided a petrol station in Johor Baru - only to rob cigarettes and chocolates.
A taxi driver, 49, brought along his wife and five children, including a baby girl, and robbed a petrol station in Bandar Baru Permas Jaya Saturday.
Though he armed his three sons and a daughter, aged between eight and 15, with swords and machetes, all they took were cigarettes and chocolates, the New Straits Times reported Monday.
The man and his sons brandished the weapons and tried to attack a police team as they made their getaway.
They then led police on a 15 km chase before surrendering.
Zainuddin Yaacob, a police official, described the case as “off the wall” as it involved the whole family, including minors.
Police were investigating the family’s motive, he added.
He said the man was earlier involved in an assault involving his 25-year-old nephew.
Yaacob said the nephew had lodged a police report, claiming that he sustained four stitches to his head.
A police team went to the suspect’s house to investigate. But the entire family escaped in a taxi driven by the suspect.
With police on their tail, the family drove to the petrol station nearby and robbed it.
While his 37-year-old wife and 16-month-old baby remained in the taxi, the man told his eight-year-old son, who had a machete, to look out for police.
Three children went inside the station and stole four packs of cigarettes and chocolates.
“After following them for about 15 km, the police team finally intercepted the vehicle.
“We seized six parang (machete), a vegetable knife and a wooden baton from the suspects.”
- High-ranking cop, officers nabbed in raids in Malaysia - Jul 13, 2010
- Falak on ventilator again; Main accused, woman arrested (Second Lead) - Feb 11, 2012
- Man kills baby, self after wife ends relation - Sep 16, 2011
- Man burns ex-wife, kid, father-in-law to death in Britain - Apr 21, 2012
- Behold India's unfolding democratic revolution (Comment) - Aug 24, 2011
- Irritated by wailing, father kills baby girl - Feb 06, 2012
- Man shot dead after killing son, nephew in US - Aug 24, 2010
- Father, son arrested for four murders - Jan 17, 2012
- Gurdwara shooting gunman identified as ex-soldier (Fourth Lead) - Aug 07, 2012
- Malaysian couple die three hours apart after 66-years of marriage - Jun 15, 2010
- Man held for sodomising, killing minor - Apr 12, 2011
- Delhi Police teams looking for runaway kidnappers of woman - Jul 26, 2011
- Brit-Indian honeymooner breaks down saying 'I didn't kill my wife' - Nov 23, 2010
- Man kills wife for selling taxi - Aug 28, 2012
- Army man detained over three deaths in family - Jul 24, 2012
Tags: armed robbery, baby girl, bandar baru permas jaya, cigarettes, gas station, getaway, kuala lumpur, machetes, month old baby, nephew, new straits times, old wife, parang machete, petrol station, police official, police report, police team, stitches, taxi driver, vegetable knife