Family kills pregnant Pakistani woman in BritainJuly 10th, 2012 - 10:52 pm ICT by IANS
London, July 10 (IANS) A court in Birmingham held the husband, in-laws and a relative guilty of killing a six-month pregnant Pakistani woman as they believed she was possessed by “evil spirits”.
Naila Mumtaz’s husband, Mohammed Tauseef Mumtaz, 25, his parents, Zia Ul-Haq and Salma Aslam, both aged 51, and his brother-in-law, Hammad Hussan, 24, were found guilty of killing her, Daily Mail reported Tuesday.
Following a 12-week trial at Birmingham Crown Court, jurors heard that Mohammed Tauseef, who was accused of smothering his six-month pregnant wife, told police she tried to strangle herself and may have been “possessed” by an evil spirit.
The court was told that he claimed his wife’s death was “like a suicide” and that he had been “similarly possessed” at the city’s coroner’s court after her death.
All four defendants denied murdering Mumtaz at her home in Craythorne Avenue, Handsworth Wood, Birmingham, in the early hours of July 8, 2009.
Wendy Bounds, a lawyer from the West Midlands Crown Prosecution Service complex casework unit, said: “Naila Mumtaz, a kind-hearted and beautiful young woman living in Pakistan with her parents, agreed to enter into an arranged marriage with the defendant, Mohammed Tauseef Mumtaz.
“She was aware that he suffered from a physical disability, but she was not put off by his appearance, taking the kind-hearted view that all living things had the same value.
“However, the jury today found that her husband and his family did not share her values.”
- Pregnant Pakistani woman killed by in-laws in Britain - Apr 25, 2012
- Superstitious Punjab village headwoman kills girl - Aug 24, 2012
- Banaz Mahmod 'honour' killing cousins jailed for life - Nov 11, 2010
- Wife in trouble after sending hubby SMS meant for lover! - Aug 04, 2011
- Indian-origin husband found guilty of '2006 pregnant woman's' murder - Feb 06, 2011
- Indian-origin wife 'wanted to purify cheating hubby's penis by burning it' - Oct 11, 2010
- Rajasthan widow alleges torture - Aug 24, 2011
- Man insured wife two days before killing her - Feb 25, 2012
- Oz woman blames sex with 9-yr-old son on medication - Oct 07, 2010
- Woman jailed for filming kids undress for lover - May 01, 2012
- Four Britons held guilty of murdering Asian man - Nov 12, 2011
- Brother of Harry Potter actress jailed for beating her up - Jan 22, 2011
- Briton clicks himself raping child, jailed - Aug 12, 2012
- 'Harry Potter' actress asked judge not to jail brother - Jan 22, 2011
- Sheffield striker jailed for five years for rape - Apr 21, 2012
Tags: aslam, britain london, casework, coroner, crown court, crown prosecution service, daily mail, defendant, evil spirit, evil spirits, handsworth wood, hussan, jurors, mohammed, physical disability, pregnant wife, tauseef, wendy bounds, west midlands, zia ul haq