Family force ‘frail’ Mandela to call off return to prison on 20th anniversary of releaseFebruary 11th, 2010 - 5:26 pm ICT by ANI
Cape Town, Feb 11(ANI): Former South African President and anti-apartheid activist Nelson Mandela has called off a historic return to the Victor Verster Prison from which he walked to freedom 20 years ago today.
The decision to abandon his presence in events celebrating the anniversary follows a dispute within his family on managing the movements of the 91-year-old.
Earlier, certain reports in the media had suggested that family members were concerned about Mandela’s frail health, and had decided against his availability.
Now, his former wife Winnie Madikizela-Mandela and other leaders of the African National Congress (ANC), including South African President Jacob Zuma, will lead the 500-yard march from the gates of the prison, now called the Drakenstein Correctional Centre, to the spot where Mandela ended his 27-year-long imprisonment.
According to reports, tensions over Mandela’s appearance had arisen between Madikizela-Mandela and her daughter Zindzi, other members of the family, including his current wife, Graca Machel, and officials of the Nelson Mandela Foundation.”Something very strange has been going on. Wild horses would not keep Winnie away from an event like that. Everyone knows that if Mandela himself went, front-page news was guaranteed,” The Times quoted a source, as saying.
“Others would be jealous, but he is very frail and it is difficult to stage-manage an event like that - whereas to maneuver him into the National Assembly is relatively easy in comparison,” the source added.
Mandela’s absence at the prison gates is certain to reignite speculation about his health and disappoint thousands of supporters and ANC faithful who are planning to attend the event. (ANI)
- South Africa celebrates 20 years of Mandela's walk to freedom - Feb 11, 2010
- Mandela looks healthy on TV - May 31, 2012
- Nelson Mandela admitted to hospital - Jan 27, 2011
- ANC slams Nelson Mandela twitter 'death' hoax - Jan 17, 2011
- Nelson Mandela's ex Winnie to have her own opera - Dec 28, 2010
- Mandela prison declared heritage site - Feb 11, 2010
- Biopic on Nelson Mandela's wife facing legal threat - May 17, 2010
- Former President Nelson Mandela discharged from hospital - Jan 28, 2011
- Mandela reveals misery over family's suffering in new book - Oct 13, 2010
- Nelson Mandela's great granddaughter killed in a car crash - Jun 11, 2010
- Mandela's daughter, grandchildren attacked after his birthday party - Jul 22, 2010
- Mandela,ex-wife Winnie celebrate 20 years of his freedom from jail - Feb 06, 2010
- 12 mn school kids wish Mandela with birthday song - Jul 18, 2012
- Thousands to honour Mandela on 92nd birthday by doing good - Jul 16, 2010
- South African speaker toasts Mandela-Gandhi spirit - Jul 10, 2012
Tags: 20th anniversary, activist, african national congress, anc, apartheid, cape town, frail health, front page news, imprisonment, jacob zuma, members of the family, national assembly, nelson mandela, nelson mandela foundation, prison gates, south african president, victor verster, wife graca machel, wild horses, zuma