Fake interpreter turns up at Indian woman’s murder trialJuly 21st, 2012 - 8:36 pm ICT by IANS
London, July 21 (IANS) The trial of a 37-year-old Punjabi woman, accused of killing her mother-in-law with a rolling pin, was stopped by the judge after the interpreter confessed half an hour later that he was a fake and filling in for his busy wife.
Rajvinder Kaur has been sentenced to life imprisonment. She would have to serve a minimum term of 11 years for battering her mother-in-law Baljit Kaur Buttar to death at her home in Southampton in February last year, the Daily Mail reported Saturday.
The judge halted the trial when the court realised interpreter Mubarak Lone was leaving out key words and phrases in his translating.
Lone was interpreting for Kaur’s husband, Iqbal Singh, who spoke Punjabi. He struggled to even get the oath right for the Sikh witness at the Winchester Crown Court in Hampshire.
The fake interpreter was finally caught by junior counsel Sukhdev Garcha, who also spoke Punjabi, half an hour into the trial.
Lone confessed that he was not a qualified translator and was awaiting the results of his interpreter test.
He later revealed that his wife - the actual interpreter - was busy and he had come to do her job instead.
Defence barrister Jonathan Fuller said Lone wrongly translated words, such as saying “bitter” instead of “irritable” and “Allah” instead of “one god”.
- Indian woman kills mother-in-law in Britain, jailed - Jul 19, 2012
- Dowry death: Four booked in Punjab - Jul 01, 2011
- Suspicious Briton strangles girlfriend in bed - Apr 24, 2012
- Indian-origin man jailed for 17 years for beating wife to death - Jun 30, 2010
- Court nod for girl choosing to stay with father - Nov 07, 2011
- Indian TV projects unhappy lives: Karan Johar (Interview) - Jun 13, 2012
- Michelle promised to return, say girls from Punjab, Rajasthan - Nov 09, 2010
- Badal government's lone woman minister convicted, jailed (Roundup) - Mar 30, 2012
- Man jailed for punching pregnant ex-girl friend to abort - Sep 07, 2012
- Campbell 'felt she was on trial while testifying at war crimes tribunal' - Oct 22, 2010
- Sobhraj to seek review of murder conviction - Aug 10, 2010
- Woman kills mother-in-law, held - Aug 25, 2011
- Van der Sloot is Expected to "Paralyze the Process" in Murder Trial; Motion Denied - Jun 29, 2010
- Opening up a treasure trove of Punjabi literature - Feb 22, 2012
- Woman nabbed for killing mother-in-law - Mar 17, 2012
Tags: 11 years, allah, buttar, crown court, daily mail, garcha, half an hour, indian woman, interpreter, iqbal singh, jonathan fuller, junior counsel, kaur, key words, life imprisonment, mother in law, mubarak, murder trial, one god, rolling pin