Facebook wants information about Australia’s registered sex offendersJune 13th, 2010 - 3:05 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, June 13 (ANI): Social networking site Facebook wants all the information about Australia’s registered sex offenders.
The idea behind it is to keep pedophiles and sex predators off.
And Victorian Police Minister Bob Cameron says he is happy to discuss the idea, sending departmental officials to meet Facebook.
“I have asked my department to meet online social networking representatives to ensure that this issue is addressed,” News.com.au quoted him as saying.
“I have asked my department to undertake work, including proposals for a national ban on child sex offenders accessing social networking sites where they can contact children,” he added.
Joe Sullivan, Facebook’s chief security officer, said his company would co-operate with Australian authorities.
“We would welcome consideration of ways in which information about registered sex offenders can be securely shared with social networks- a model, widely deployed by the US States Attorney Generals, which has effectively removed dangerous individuals from access to such services,” Sullivan said. (ANI)
- Use Facebook to know people, officials told - Jul 07, 2012
- Family watchdog, A Site Meant For Preventing Cyber Sexual Crimes - Jun 12, 2010
- Oz teens at risk from 'dangerous' online friends - Mar 15, 2011
- British prisoners threatening people on Facebook - Jan 30, 2012
- Facebook bans 20,000 underage users everyday - Mar 24, 2011
- Court issues notice over taxing internet-based firms (Second Lead) - Jun 06, 2012
- Facebook to ask users phone details - Jun 15, 2012
- Facebook to launch 'panic button' to report sex offenders - Jul 12, 2010
- Are terrorists using Facebook to exchange bomb recipes? - Dec 10, 2010
- Facebook in row over moderation process - Mar 03, 2012
- Facebook generates feel good factor - Jun 27, 2012
- British sex offenders to face mandatory lie detector test - Jul 20, 2012
- Cyber criminals increasingly targeting social networks - Jan 19, 2011
- 'Hacker' application on Facebook stealing users' personal info - Aug 18, 2010
Tags: attorney generals, australian authorities, cameron, chief security officer, child sex offenders, departmental officials, facebook, information about australia, joe sullivan, national ban, news com au, pedophiles, police minister, proposals, registered sex offenders, sex predators, social networking site, social networking sites, social networks, victorian police