Facebook makes money from user’s dataApril 17th, 2011 - 6:20 pm ICT by ANI
Los Angeles, Apr 17 (ANI): Social networking site Facebook is using its users’s profile, status updates, messages and other information to help advertisers find exactly who they want to reach out to.
Facebook is now tracking this activity, shooting online ads to users based on their demographics, interests, even what they say to friends on the site sometimes within minutes of them typing a key word or phrase.
For example, women who have changed their relationship status to “engaged” on their Facebook profiles will receive ads from local wedding planners and caterers when they log in.
Middle-aged men who list motorcycling as one of their hobbies could get pitches from Victory Motorcycles.
According to the Los Angeles Times, some analysis believe that Facebook’s unique trove of consumer behavior could transform it into one of the most powerful marketing tools ever invented.
However, privacy watchdogs say Facebook’s unique ability to mine data and sell advertising based on what its members voluntarily share amounts to electronic eavesdropping on personal updates, posts and messages that many users intended to share only with friends.
Facebook’s first experiment with paid ads was a flop. In 2007 it rolled out Beacon, which broadcast information on Facebook about users’ activities and purchases elsewhere on the Web without their permission.
Facebook pulled the program after settling a lawsuit brought on behalf of Facebook users.
This time around, company officials appear to be proceeding more cautiously. David Fischer, Facebook’s vice president of advertising and global operations, says Facebook delivers ads that are relevant to users’ lives.
“This is an opportunity for brands to connect with you. When someone likes a brand, they are building a two-way conversation, creating an ongoing relationship,” said Fischer. (ANI)
- 25 million Facebook users in India - Apr 28, 2011
- Facebook could be taken to court over alleged tracking - Nov 17, 2011
- Facebook strengthening our social ties: Study - Nov 28, 2010
- A third of men on Facebook provoke others - Apr 03, 2012
- Facebook To Permit The Advertisers To Republish The Users' Posts - Jan 27, 2011
- Facebook has more than 83 mn fake users - Aug 02, 2012
- Now, group messaging apps on smartphones to connect 'real friends' - Mar 17, 2011
- Facebook Posts To Be Republished To The Friends Of The Users - Jan 27, 2011
- Justin Timberlake to promote MySpace - Jun 30, 2011
- Updates on social networking sites worth more than $30m a day - Apr 13, 2011
- Facebook Etiquettes That Can Be Helpful - Sep 01, 2010
- Facebook Censors Pot Ad By Group - Aug 25, 2010
- MySpace Leaks User Data To Advertisers - Oct 25, 2010
- Facebook, gadgets galore... Indian children take to 'multi-tasking' - Sep 26, 2010
Tags: company officials, consumer behavior, david fischer, electronic eavesdropping, example women, facebook, global operations, key word, los angeles times, personal updates, powerful marketing tools, privacy watchdogs, profile status, relationship status, share amounts, social networking site, status updates, trove, victory motorcycles, wedding planners