Facebook bans woman for photos of son with Down’s syndromeApril 27th, 2012 - 9:36 pm ICT by IANS
London, April 27 (IANS) An American woman was banned from Facebook after she posted photos of her son affected with Down’s syndrome. The social network, which termed the pictures “inappropriate”, has now apologised.
Down’s syndrome is a condition caused by the presence of all or part of an extra 21st chromosome. It is associated with a delay in cognitive ability and physical growth, and a particular set of facial characteristics.
Diana Cornwell — from North Carolina — posted the photos on Facebook of her seven-year-old son competing at a local Special Olympics event. When she next logged on, she received messages from the website monitoring team that said the pictures violated its user agreement.
Cornwell’s account was disabled for three days until she took down the photos.
“Every photo was of my son at the Special Olympics Event. There was nothing wrong with those pictures,” she said.
Facebook later apologised for the incident and said “human error” was to blame.
“The photo was taken down in error. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused and we hope she’ll repost the photo and continue to share her son’s experience at the Special Olympics on Facebook,” the website said in a statement.
- Facebook removes pic of gays kissing over 'abusive material' accusation - Apr 21, 2011
- Zuckerberg's private Facebook photos goes viral - Dec 07, 2011
- Facebook retracts ban on Sydney nipple-flashing doll images - Jul 12, 2010
- Twitter can be dangerous for your Olympics wellbeing! (Olympics Diary) - Aug 01, 2012
- Facebook bans breast cancer survivor's photo of reconstructed breasts - Mar 09, 2011
- Facebook blamed for one-third divorces across globe - Dec 31, 2011
- Mexican doctor criticised for OT photos on Facebook - Apr 20, 2012
- US woman jailed for shooting sex tape with son - Jun 24, 2012
- Pakistani jailed for threatening ex on Facebook - Mar 23, 2011
- Brit college girl posts topless pics on website - Feb 12, 2011
- Kristi Cornwell's Brother Richard Cornwell Finds Her Remains In North Georgia - Jan 04, 2011
- Facebook 'fuelling divorce epidemic' - Jan 22, 2011
- Facebook sparks row after deleting breastfeeding support group page - Jan 09, 2011
- Gangster nabbed after cops see photos on Facebook - Aug 26, 2011
- Key factor to age-related miscarriages and birth defects confirmed - Apr 16, 2011
Tags: american woman, chromosome, cognitive ability, diana cornwell, facebook, facial characteristics, human error, inconvenience, london, monitoring team, north carolina, olympics, olympics event, photo, photos, presence, special olympics, website monitoring