Extra calcium may not prevent premature birthOctober 9th, 2011 - 7:03 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, Oct 9 (IANS) Calcium intake has no effect on preventing premature birth or low infant birth weight, a review of its potential benefits suggests.
Experts agree that during pregnancy, a mother’s diet and nutritional status contribute significantly to the health and well-being of her offspring. Yet, the effects of supplementation with calcium have remained unclear.
A review led by researcher Pranom Buppasiri, obstetrician and gynaecologist at Thailand’s Khon Kaen University, shows that calcium supplementation has no effect on preventing preterm birth or low infant birth weight and no effect on bone density in pregnant women.
Pranom notes, however, that previous reviews have shown that calcium supplementation does help in the prevention of preeclampsia, the journal The Cochrane Library reports.
Preeclampsia is a dangerous condition marked by hypertension and protein in the urine that can develop into serious complications for the mother and baby.
The definitive treatment for preeclampsia is delivery of the baby, often resulting in preterm and/or low birth weight babies. More than 16,000 women participated in the 21 studies included in the review.
- Marijuana doubles premature birth risk - Jul 19, 2012
- Women aged 35 'are six times more likely to suffer fertility problems' - Jan 28, 2011
- 15 million babies born prematurely every year - May 03, 2012
- Vitamin D supplements can prevent premature births - May 01, 2010
- Vitamin D supplements can prevent preterm labor/births - May 01, 2010
- Mums abused in childhood more likely to have low-birth weight babies - Mar 30, 2011
- Pregnancy stress can affect baby's iron status: Study - Apr 30, 2012
- Premature babies survive better in neonatal ICUs - Jul 24, 2012
- Kicking the butt before pregnancy could save babies' lives - Jun 09, 2010
- Pregnant women can enjoy one cup of coffee a day - Jul 24, 2010
- Rushing Birth Even A Little Can Hurt Babies' Health - Jan 05, 2011
- Bengal government orders inquiry into crib deaths - May 24, 2012
- 'Half of all child deaths in India due to pre-term births' - May 02, 2012
- Premature births leading cause of infant deaths - Feb 11, 2010
- Rushing Birth Even A Little Can Hurt Babies' Health, Study Says - Jan 05, 2011
Tags: babies, bone density, calcium intake, calcium supplementation, cochrane library, dangerous condition, definitive treatment, gynaecologist, hypertension, khon kaen university, low birth weight, mother and baby, nutritional status, obstetrician, offspring, preeclampsia, pregnant women, premature birth, protein in the urine, researcher