Explosion rocks German chemical park, three missing (Lead)April 1st, 2012 - 12:25 am ICT by IANS
Berlin, March 31 (IANS) A huge explosion rocked a chemical industrial park in Marl in western Germany, leaving one or two workers injured and three missing, police said Saturday.
Marl police confirmed a pressure vessel in the park blew up at 13:36 local time (1136 GMT), reported Xinua.
Three staff members were missing, police spokesman Michael Franz told Xinhua. He said one was injured, although another spokesman said earlier two had been confirmed injured.
The firefighters were “fully engaged” and the flame was “locally limited,” the police said.
The accident in the park in the Ruhr industrial region sent up a giant gas cloud, which moved southward and was spreading over a major east-west highway, the police said.
Franz said emergency crew had tested the cloud at the site and found no harmful content. Police have warned local residents to close windows and doors and stay inside buildings.
There is no death report yet and the cause of the explosion is under investigation.
The chemical industry facility is operated by the company of Infracor. It is one of the biggest German chemical parks, covering an area of about 6.5 square km and containing more than 100 chemical plants from about 30 firms.
- Explosion rocks German chemical park - Mar 31, 2012
- 20 killed in Afghan suicide attack - Dec 25, 2011
- Explosives-laden truck explodes at Chinese cement factory, 9 dead - Aug 28, 2012
- Over 30 injured in Thai chemical explosion - Feb 19, 2012
- Over 100 dead in Kenya fuel pipeline fire - Sep 12, 2011
- 10 die in Afghanistan airport suicide blast - Feb 27, 2012
- Blast at Mexican gas facility kills 26, seven still missing - Sep 20, 2012
- Paper mill explosion in Taiwan, four killed - Apr 23, 2011
- 10 dead, 12 wounded in Afghan airport bombing (Lead) - Feb 27, 2012
- Chemical spill forces Brazilian port's closure - May 07, 2012
- Two killed in fire at Andhra pharma factory - Dec 19, 2011
- Blaze at fireworks factory in southern India kills 38, injures 60 - Sep 06, 2012
- 100 die in Pakistan as two factories go up in flames (Second Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- Suicide car bombing kills 14 in Afghanistan (Lead) - May 18, 2011
- 13 killed, 21 injured in Pakistan car bombing (Lead) - Dec 31, 2011
Tags: berlin, chemical plants, death report, emergency crew, explosion rocks, firefighters, flame, german chemical, giant gas cloud, harmful content, local time, marl, michael franz, police spokesman, pressure vessel, staff members, western germany, windows and doors, xinhua