Explosion in Belarus injures 50July 4th, 2008 - 12:39 pm ICT by IANS
Minsk/Moscow, July 4 (DPA) At least 50 people were injured when a bomb went off early Friday in Belarus’ capital Minsk during a concert celebrating Independence Day, officials said. “There are a few severely injured, but no dead,” Interior Minister Vladimir Naumov told Interfax news agency.
Some of the injured are being operated on in hospital. Witnesses saw nuts and bolts around the area of the explosion.
Investigators could not immediately determine the type of explosive that caused the blast.
Earlier Thursday a military parade was held to mark Belarus’ Independence Day in front of the Minsk City Hero obelisk at the centre of the capital.
- 11 dead in Minsk metro blast: Belarus president (Lead) - Apr 12, 2011
- Rush-hour metro blast jolts Belarusian capital, kills 11 (Lead) - Apr 12, 2011
- Belarusian President Lukashenko says Minsk bombing case is solved - Apr 14, 2011
- Suspects arrested over deadly bomb blast at Belarus metro station - Apr 13, 2011
- Belarus court gives death to Minsk metro bombers - Nov 30, 2011
- 11 killed, 126 injured in metro station blast in Belarus - Apr 12, 2011
- European Union urges Belarus to ban death penalty - Dec 02, 2011
- Russian embassy bomber jailed in Belarus - May 27, 2011
- UN condemns Belarusian subway station bombing - Apr 14, 2011
- Russia restricts Belarusian airline - Apr 06, 2012
- US condemns 'heinous' bombing in Belarus - Apr 13, 2011
- Bomb blast averted in Karachi - Jul 20, 2012
- Belarus to abolish death penalty after US: President - Dec 24, 2011
- Four serial blasts in Manipur, two injured (Lead) - Aug 15, 2012
- Minsk Metro station blast toll rises to 13 - Apr 15, 2011
Tags: bomb, celebrating independence day, dpa, explosion investigators, explosive, hero, independence day, interior minister, july 4, military parade, minsk city, moscow, news agency, nuts and bolts, obelisk, vladimir naumov