Experts worried over media gagging in PakistanNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:26 am ICT by admin
However, experts feel that the gagging has been propelled by the media itself. They feel that it is an outcome of the Musharraf bashing and the reports which were sometimes perceived as anti-government.
Cable operator in the country said that they received orders from government officials to switch off all television channels before 6 p.m.
Reacting to this, Internews’ country director Adnan Rehmat said that fundamental rights are suspended in the state of emergency, but the right to information is the key right and should not be suspended.
Media reports quoted him, as saying: “This is a huge backward step… right now only one TV channel is giving news and that is the state-run Pakistan Television, which gives very limited information.”
The media order imposed by Musharraf earlier gave the Pakistan Electronic Media Regulatory Authority (PEMRA) the power to confiscate equipment belonging to violators and to seize their premises for 30 days.
It says there is a maximum punishment of three years in jail or a fine of 10 million rupees (166,700 dollars) for anyone who breaches the code. (ANI with inputs)
- PEMRA fines two TV channels for promoting terrorism, blood and gore - Jan 12, 2011
- Shoes thrown at Zardari: Pakistani media battles government - Aug 12, 2010
- No licence to any Indian channel: Pakistani minister - Aug 02, 2011
- 'Ek Tha Tiger' not anti-Pakistan, assures Kabir Khan - Jul 11, 2012
- Blocking TV channels' transmission criminal, says Pak Chief Justice - Aug 14, 2010
- Pakistani TV channels fined for interviews of Taseer's killer - Jan 11, 2011
- PML-N leader alleges General Kayani's tenure extended at US behest - Jul 27, 2010
- Pakistan readies code of conduct for media - Mar 01, 2012
- No intention to curb media: Pakistani minister - Feb 28, 2012
- UK report paints dismal picture of Pak in critical areas in 2010 - Apr 01, 2011
- Syrian journalists killed in TV station attack - Jun 28, 2012
- US embassy in Islamabad losing battle to counter hate America Pak media campaign - Jun 27, 2010
- US sanctions on state media 'hostile': Syria - Mar 07, 2012
- Russia to regulate internet - Apr 30, 2011
- Rs.200 mn endowment fund for Pakistani journalists - Aug 11, 2011
Tags: adnan, cable operator, confiscate, country director, electronic media, experts worried, fundamental rights, giving news, maximum punishment, musharraf, pakistan television, pemra, political developments, private tv channels, received orders, regulatory authority, rupees, state of emergency, television channels, violators