Expert tells Brisbane court that Patel surgery ”inappropriate”, led to deathsFebruary 19th, 2009 - 3:26 pm ICT by ANI
Brisbane, Feb.19 (ANI): Colo-rectal expert Brian Collopy told a Brisbane Magistrates Court today that controversial Indian-born surgeon Dr. Jayant Patel fell short of competent medical practice when he wrongly diagnosed and performed an unnecessary operation on a man who later died. Bundaberg Base Hospital patient Mervyn Morris, 76, died in June 2003 after Dr Patel performed two operations to try to stop bleeding in his bowel.
According to news.com.au, Collopy told the court that the bleeding could have been treated with iron tablets, cortisone and occasional blood transfusions.
He said Dr Patel, 58, incorrectly diagnosed the source of the bleeding and unnecessarily removed part of the colon.
This was an “inappropriate” and “over-aggressive” response, Dr Collopy said.
Dr Patel has been charged with Morris’’s manslaughter, as well as that of two other patients. He faces another 10 charges relating to his time as director of surgery at the hospital between 2003 and 2005. (ANI)
- Dr. Death's claim that dead patient's bowel was cancerous not true, says pathologist - Mar 30, 2010
- Patient's bowel was "poking out" after surgery by "Dr. Death", Brisbane SC told - Mar 25, 2010
- Indian-origin doctor guilty of manslaughter in Australia - Jun 29, 2010
- Surgery by "Dr. Death" Jayant Patel led to patient's death, court told - Mar 26, 2010
- Indian-origin doctor appeals conviction in Australia - Jul 15, 2010
- India-born doctor 'failed to investigate' cancer concerns - Mar 24, 2010
- Indian-origin doctor gets 7 years jail term in Australia (Lead) - Jul 01, 2010
- Jury deliberates for fifth day on Patel manslaughter trial - Jun 27, 2010
- 'Dr Death' Jayant Patel's lawyers lodge appeal in manslaughter case - Jul 15, 2010
- Extended jail term sought for Indian-origin doctor - Jul 20, 2010
- "Dr. Death" Jayant Patel lacked experience for major surgery: Brisbane SC told - Mar 23, 2010
- India-born doctor caused three deaths, Australian court told - Mar 22, 2010
- Brisbane SC to hear Justice John before deciding on Dr. Death's fate - Jun 22, 2010
- Indian-origin doctor called his hospital third world country - May 11, 2010
- 'Dr. Death' Jayant Patel moved to new jail in Brisbane - Jul 05, 2010
Tags: aggressive response, blood transfusions, brian collopy, brisbane, colo rectal, colon, cortisone, deaths, dr jayant patel, hospital patient, iron tablets, magistrates court, manslaughter, medical practice, news com au