Exercise protects heart via nitric oxideMay 5th, 2011 - 6:09 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, May 5 (IANS) Exercise both reduces the risk of a heart attack and protects it from injury if a heart attack has occurred, researchers say.
For years, doctors have been trying to figure out how this second benefit of exercise works.
Researchers at Emory University School of Medicine, US, have identified the ability of the heart to produce and store nitric oxide as an important way in which exercise protects the heart from injury, reports the journal Circulation Research.
Nitric oxide, a short-lived gas generated within the body, turns on chemical pathways that relax blood vessels to increase blood flow and activate survival pathways, according to an Emory statement.
Both the chemical nitrite and nitrosothiols, where nitric oxide is attached to proteins via sulphur, appear to act as convertible reservoirs for nitric oxide in situations where the body needs it, such as a lack of blood flow or oxygen.
The Emory team’s results strengthen the case for nitrite and nitrosothiols as possible protectants from the damage of a heart attack.
“Our study provides new evidence that nitric oxide generated during physical exercise is actually stored in the bloodstream and heart in the form of nitrite and nitrosothiols,” said study co-author David Lefer, professor of surgery at Emory School of Medicine.
“These more stable nitric oxide intermediates appear to be critical for the cardio-protection against a subsequent heart attack,” Lefer said.
- Exercise protects heart from injury through nitric oxide - May 05, 2011
- Garlic oil component protects heart - Nov 17, 2011
- Leafy greens 'could help protect vascular health' - Mar 24, 2011
- Taking apples daily keeps cardio risks at bay - Jul 08, 2011
- Nanoparticles help improve survival after blood loss - Feb 23, 2011
- Brazil spider's venom could help in man's sexual life - Aug 30, 2012
- Eating green leafy veggies may keep heart attacks at bay - Nov 14, 2007
- Harnessing deadly fumes to reverse heart disease? - Aug 03, 2012
- How Alzheimer's plaques lead to loss of nitric oxide in brain - Jan 11, 2011
- Ancient Chinese herbal formulas for heart can produce nitric oxide - Aug 19, 2009
- Soon, therapeutic socks for diabetics - Mar 11, 2010
- New proteins that regulate blood pressure, flow identified - Jul 08, 2010
- Beetroot juice helps elderly prevent dementia - Nov 03, 2010
- Fertilizer chemicals harm reproductive functions of water organisms - Aug 28, 2010
- Molecule that can increase blood flow in vascular disease identified - Mar 11, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,