Excavation of wells in Turkey reveals human skull, bonesMarch 16th, 2009 - 4:39 pm ICT by IANS
Ankara, March 16 (DPA) Turkish investigators looking into reports that the bodies of several people murdered in the 1990s in south-east Turkey had been dumped into wells have discovered a human skull, Turkish media reported Monday.
Digging around several wells in the district of Silopi, investigators found human hair, clothes, a military cap and human bones.
Dozens of people went missing, presumably murdered, during the 1990s at the height of fighting between the separatist Kurdish Workers’ Party (PKK) and the Turkish armed forces.
In recent weeks there have been reports that a secret group within the gendarmerie, a military police force responsible for security in rural areas, had murdered a number of people in the predominantly Kurdish-populated south-east and had dumped their bodies into wells on state-owned land.
The existence of the secret group, known as Jitem, has never been officially recognised. The alleged founder of Jitem, retired General Veli Kucuk, has been arrested as part of a probe into the so-called Ergenekon gang, which prosecutors allege had plans to overthrow the moderate Islamic government of Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan.
- Turkey launches military operations in northern Iraq - Oct 21, 2011
- Turkey offers to dramatically increase sale of military hardware to Pak - Dec 08, 2010
- Abu Dhabi prince meets Turkish leaders - Feb 29, 2012
- 7 'terrorists' killed in clash in Turkey: report - Apr 01, 2011
- 13 die in Turkish prison fire - Jun 17, 2012
- Turkey objects to NATO military intervention in Libya - Mar 14, 2011
- Israeli government the problem, not the people: Turkish PM - Oct 03, 2011
- 13 rebels killed in Turkish air raids inside Iraq - Feb 13, 2009
- 1.3 tonnes hashish seized in Turkey - Jan 06, 2012
- Turkish PM warns of 'disastrous' consequence if Israel strikes Iran - Apr 01, 2012
- Turkey's top army officials resign - Jul 30, 2011
- Turkish jets pound PKK positions in northern Iraq - Dec 18, 2008
- 49 Turkish military officers arrested over suspected coup plot - Feb 23, 2010
- Jail for man who threw shoe at Turkish PM - Jul 01, 2010
- Eight Turkish soldiers killed near Iraqi border - Jun 19, 2010
Tags: excavation, gendarmerie, human bones, human hair, human skull bones, islamic government, jitem, kurdish workers party, military police, pkk, police force, prime minister recep tayyip, prime minister recep tayyip erdogan, recep tayyip erdogan, rural areas, secret group, south east turkey, turkish armed forces, turkish media, veli kucuk