Exact replica of Charles Darwins HMS Beagle cabin goes on showFebruary 10th, 2009 - 2:45 pm ICT by ANI
London, Feb 10 (ANI): As part of a one-million pound exhibition staged at Charles Darwin’’s home in Kent, an exact replica of his cabin aboard the HMS Beagle has been produced.
English Heritage has created the unusual display at Down House near Orpington to mark the 200th anniversary of his birth on February 12.
Darwin spent the last 40 years of his life there, writing On the Origin of Species (1859) and The Descent of Man (1871).
Some of the 43 surviving pages of his manuscript for Origin of Species are also on display, plus a rare first edition of the work.
“He is really better known for his time in the Galapagos but this is where he spent 40 years of his life,” the Telegraph quoted his great-great-granddaughter Sarah Darwin, a biologist at the Natural History Museum, as saying.
The English Heritage exhibition opens on Friday 13. (ANI)
- HMS Beagle specimens and an original page of 'Origin of Species' to be reunited at Darwin exhibition - Jul 03, 2009
- Ecuador begins destroying WW II bombs - Jan 18, 2012
- Darwin's lost fossils collection found in Britain - Jan 17, 2012
- Galapagos Islands 'no longer endangered' - Jul 29, 2010
- Darwin penned down advanced ideas about origin of life in different documents - Oct 28, 2009
- ''Charles Darwin''s theory of evolution was driven by passion to end slavery'' - Jan 25, 2009
- DNA collected by Darwin in 1835 may help resurrect a rare mockingbird - Nov 18, 2009
- Globetrotting exhibition on Darwin reaches Bangalore - Oct 23, 2009
- HRD ministry to preserve Kashmir's manuscripts, paintings - Jul 21, 2012
- Lukewarm response to renovated Ghalib's haveli - Dec 29, 2011
- Charles Darwin suffered from "cyclical vomiting syndrome" - Dec 14, 2009
- All life forms share single genetic inheritance? - May 17, 2010
- Dozen WWII bombs found in Galapagos Islands - Oct 29, 2010
- Study proves Darwin's theory of universal common ancestry - May 13, 2010
- Fake modern Indian art market fattens on budget buyers (With Images) - Aug 06, 2012
Tags: biologist, charles darwin, charles darwins, descent of man, english heritage, exact replica, february 12, friday 13, galapagos, great granddaughter, heritage exhibition, hms, hms beagle, london feb, manuscript, natural history museum, one million, origin of species, orpington, telegraph