Ex-servicemen return medals over pension equalityOctober 25th, 2009 - 7:03 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Oct. 25 (ANI): Protesting against the inequality in new and old pensions, hundreds of ex-servicemen on Sunday returned their medals to the President of India.
These retired personnel from the three wings of defence forces - Army, Navy and Air Force, also staged a sit-in protest against the non-implementation of equality in pension, popularly known as ‘One Rank-One Pension’.
“We are demanding just equality between the old and the new pension. If two pensioners are put in the same number of years of service, have undergone the same hardships, same risks, dangers, same separation, their services to the country have been same, then their pension also must be same,” said Lieutenant General (retired) Raj Kadyan, Chairman of Indian Ex Servicemen Movement (IESM).
The ‘One Rank-One Pension’ was introduced in 2009-2010.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, in his speech at the Independence Day, had also stated that pensions of some ranked officers have been improved.
However, according to the ex-servicemen, the government hasn’t issued the orders as yet.
The IESM has been protesting for the last one and half year against the injustice to the pensioners of defence forces.
“We tried our best initially to make representation to the Government, to meet the leaders and talk to them but nothing happened. Depositing of medal is the biggest hurt that a soldier can express to the government,” Lt. Gen (retired) Kadyan said.
The ex-servicemen have already deposited 20000 medals with the President. (ANI)
- Retired defence personnel demand hike in pension - Jul 11, 2010
- Provide more jobs to retired defence personnel: Antony - Jun 27, 2011
- Ex-soldiers protest 'government betrayal' - Mar 06, 2011
- Ex-servicemen hold protest, demand equal pension (Lead) - Mar 14, 2010
- Ex-servicemen stage protest for 'One Rank-One Pension' - Apr 12, 2009
- Congress official urges ex-servicemen not to return medals - Mar 18, 2010
- High-level panel formed to resolve defence pay disparity - Jul 13, 2012
- One-rank-one-pension not so soon: Antony - Aug 25, 2010
- Ex-servicemen hold protest, demand equal pension - Mar 14, 2010
- Ex-servicemen meet president, demand pension parity - Mar 10, 2009
- Protesting war veterans return nine cartons of gallantry medals - Dec 09, 2009
- Panel's report on defence pay anomalies on Wednesday - Aug 07, 2012
- Report on one rank one pension by month end: President - Jun 04, 2009
- 'Serious fraud probe' into ex-servicemen job scam - Sep 25, 2011
- Govt. approves extension of ECHS facilities to Nepal Domiciled Gorkhas - May 27, 2010
Tags: army navy, defence forces, equality, hardships, independence day, inequality, injustice, lieutenant general, manmohan, manmohan singh, medals, New Delhi, pensioners, pensions, president of india, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, rank one, sit in protest, wings