Ex-KGB agent Lebedev to buy London Evening StandardJanuary 15th, 2009 - 2:12 pm ICT by ANI
London, Jan.15 (ANI): A billionaire and former KGB agent Alexander Lebedev is to buy London’’s Evening Standard that would see him become the first Russian oligarch to own a major British newspaper.
According to The Guardians website, Lebedev is poised to buy a controlling stake in the ailing title, following a year of secret negotiations with Lord Rothermere, its owner and the chairman of the Daily Mail and General Trust.
Under the terms of the deal, Lebedev will purchase 76 percent of the newspaper, with the Associated Newspapers group retaining 24 percent.
His son Evgeny, who lives in London, is due to sign the deal with Daily Mail and General Trust tomorrow.
The purchase will be an astonishing moment in British press history the first time a former member of a foreign intelligence service has owned a British title.
Speaking to the website on Wednesday, Lebedev said he had read the Evening Standard and other British newspapers when he was a young spy at the Soviet embassy in London in the late 1980s.
He said: “I had to read every newspaper. I was there for that,” he recalled. “I had to read the FT, the Guardian, Standard and the Daily Mail.”
Lebedev is also part owner of the critical Novaya Gazeta paper, one of the last sources of media opposition inside Russia to the government. (ANI)
- Russian oligarch Lebedev to buy The Independent for a pound - Mar 01, 2010
- Ex-KGB man set to buy London Evening Standard? - Jan 15, 2009
- Russian media tycoon sells radio stations - May 17, 2012
- Russian billionaire asks Putin to stop FSB secret service agents from stealing his empire - Feb 19, 2011
- Ex-KGB spy buys the Independent for a pound - Mar 26, 2010
- Ex-KGB officer Lebedev to buy Evening Standard for a pound - Jan 16, 2009
- 'Russian billionaire in bid to buy British paper' - Jan 09, 2009
- London Evening Standard sold to ex-Soviet spy - Jan 21, 2009
- Daily Mail sweeps British journalism awards - Mar 22, 2012
- Gorbachev to return to Russian politics in 2011 - Sep 30, 2008
- Facebook accused of promoting 'rape' - Oct 02, 2011
- Russian journalists assaulted - May 04, 2012
- Britain's first newspaper in 25 years 'for people on the go' - Oct 27, 2010
- Top KGB defector claims Lib Dem aide was Russia's best spy in 30-yrs - Dec 13, 2010
- Cherie Blair attends launch of Royal Mail stamps 'dedicated' to Subrata Roy - Apr 11, 2011
Tags: 1980s, alexander lebedev, astonishing moment, billionaire, british newspapers, daily mail and general trust, embassy in london, evening standard london, foreign intelligence service, guardian, guardians, kgb agent, london evening standard, london jan, novaya gazeta, opposition, russian oligarch, secret negotiations, soviet embassy, stake