Ex-GITMO Libyan detainee is now a US ally of sortsApril 25th, 2011 - 3:09 pm ICT by ANI
Darnah (Libya), Apr. 25 (ANI): For over five years, Abu Sufian Ibrahim Ahmed Hamuda bin Qumu was a prisoner at the Guantánamo Bay prison, judged “a probable member of Al Qaeda”. Now, Qumu, 51, is a notable figure in the Libyan rebels’ fight to oust Colonel Muammar el-Qaddafi.
According to the New York Times, he is reportedly a leader of a ragtag band of fighters known as the Darnah Brigade in northeast Libya.
The paper further says that this former enemy and prisoner of the United States is now an ally of sorts, a remarkable turnabout resulting from shifting American policies rather than any obvious change in Qumu.He was a tank driver in the Libyan Army in the 1980s, when the Central Intelligence Agency was spending billions to support religious militants trying to drive Soviet troops out of Afghanistan.
Qumu moved to Afghanistan in the early 1990s, just as Osama bin Laden and other former mujahedeen were violently turning against their former benefactor, the United States.
He was captured in Pakistan after 9/11, and accused of being a member of the militant Libyan Islamic Fighting Group, and sent to Guantánamo. (ANI)
- Libya releases 37 militant Islamists - Sep 01, 2010
- Members of Libya's mission to UN ask genocidal war criminal Qaddafi to step down soon - Feb 22, 2011
- NATO strained over approach to Libya - Apr 15, 2011
- Osama's ex-cook pleads guilty for supporting terrorism - Jul 08, 2010
- Qaddafi has "lost legitimacy to rule" and should step down 'now': Obama - Feb 27, 2011
- Qaddafi's grip slipping in Libya, opposition takes control security in some pockets - Feb 22, 2011
- WikiLeaks cables detail Qaddafi clan's extravagant exploits - Feb 23, 2011
- Gaddafi's son warns of 'civil war' in Libya if father's regime toppled - Feb 21, 2011
- Osama did not escape to Pakistan, but headed north: GITMO documents - Apr 26, 2011
- India backs dialogue to resolve Libyan crisis - Jul 22, 2011
- Senior al-Qaeda member put 'jihad over sex' by taking "impotence" injections - Apr 27, 2011
- Michael Moore blasts Obama over military action in Libya - Mar 21, 2011
- Social activist actress Jagger slams Obama for GITMO closure failure - Jan 12, 2011
- It's too early to start negotiating for Gaddafi's exit: Obama - Mar 30, 2011
- GITMO files says Casio wristwatch 'the sign of al-Qaida' - Apr 26, 2011
Tags: abu sufian, american policies, band of fighters, benefactor, central intelligence agency, gitmo, guant, ibrahim ahmed, libyan army, militants, muammar, mujahedeen, new york times, northeast libya, osama bin laden, ragtag band, remarkable turnabout, soviet troops, tank driver, us ally