Ex-Fiji PM Mahendra Chaudhry arrested by military regimeOctober 3rd, 2010 - 4:31 pm ICT by ANI
Suva (Fiji), Oct 3(ANI): Former Fijian Prime Minister Mahendra Chaudhry has been arrested for allegedly breaching the military government’s emergency regulations.
According to the BBC, Chaudhry, who is leader of the opposition Fiji Labour Party, was detained with five other people for holding public meetings in breach of the regulations, imposed last year.
He is expected to face court on Monday.
Voreqe Bainimarama, who seized power in a 2006 coup, imposed emergency regulations that ban public meetings when he abrogated the constitution in April last year.
Chaudhry became Fiji’s first ethnic Indian leader when elected Prime Minister in 1999.
He was overthrown a year later in a coup led by hardline Fijian nationalist leader George Speight. (ANI)
- Former Fiji premier faces corruption trial - Jan 15, 2010
- Former Fiji PM Chaudhry questioned for tax evasion - Jul 23, 2010
- Fiji military chief says he might delay promised elections - Jul 13, 2010
- Fiji courts China to Indian community's dismay (Comment) - Aug 15, 2010
- Former Fiji PM Chaudhry pleads not guilty to defying military regime's 'laws' - Oct 06, 2010
- Pacific tit-for-tat on cards after Fiji expels diplomats - Nov 04, 2009
- Fiji regime extends emergency powers till end of the year - Jul 02, 2009
- Ex-Indian origin Fiji PM charged with money laundering - Jul 23, 2010
- Fiji extends emergency and media censorship - May 04, 2009
- Fiji's rival parties to unite for 2014 elections - Mar 27, 2012
- Fiji strongman gets honour for service to humanity - Apr 24, 2009
- Emergency in Fiji as president revokes constitution (Second Lead) - Apr 10, 2009
- Dictator Bainimarama says Australia once threatened to invade Fiji - May 01, 2009
- Fiji extends emergency and media censorship for a month (Lead) - May 04, 2009
- Fiji military government censors media - Apr 12, 2009
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,