Ex-detective says Brit Queen escaped assassination in Australia in 1970January 28th, 2009 - 12:36 pm ICT by ANI
London, Jan.28 (ANI): Mystery plotters attempted to kill Britains Queen Elizabeth II during a visit to Australia in April, 1970, but luck prevented it, claims a retired police detective.
Former Detective Superintendent Cliff McHardy has sensationally revealed to the Lithgow Mercury and Londons Daily Mail that details of the conspiracy were kept quiet so as not to embarrass the Australian Government at the time.
According to The Telegraph, he claimed that the Queen and Prince Philip were travelling across the Blue Mountains towards Orange on April 29 1970 when plotters attempted to derail their train.
The now retired 81-year-old police officer claimed a wooden log was placed on the railway tracks ahead of the monarch’’s train, but failed when it simply wedged under the wheels and slowed the train down until it eventually stopped at a crossing.
McHardy, who now lives in Glenbrook, said he decided to break his long silence on the case to prompt people to come forward and own up.
It is understood there is no record of the alleged event but the report by the former Lithgow police station chief caused a wild frenzy with the British Fleet Street press inundating Buckingham Palace with demands for details.
A spokeswoman for the Palace this morning declined to comment.
“We are not commenting on an alleged plot that happened 40 years ago,” the spokeswoman said.
It is believed the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh remain oblivious to the alleged assassination attempt to this day. There is no official report of the incident in the UK or Australia. (ANI)
- Queen Elizabeth escaped 1970 murder plot in Australia: Detective - Jan 28, 2009
- Jessie J wore Falguni-Shane creation at Diamond Jubilee celebration (With Images) - Jun 07, 2012
- Vogue editor 'urged Kate Middleton to pick McQueen dress for wedding' - Mar 08, 2011
- 90-year-old Prince Philip regrets leaving naval career - May 17, 2011
- Meet the Brit boy who stalked Queen Victoria, stole her bloomers - Feb 02, 2011
- Middleton's bodyguard tangled in 'racist and sexist abuse case' - Jan 31, 2011
- British monarch to visit Ireland after a century - Mar 05, 2011
- Royal Family to be granted new right of secrecy - Jan 08, 2011
- Prince Charles' tribute to his 'mama' on her diamond jubilee celebrations - Jun 01, 2012
- Queen Elizabeth gets bleeding nose - Apr 15, 2011
- For the first time in 44 years, UK Queen to skip Commonwealth Games - May 30, 2010
- William and Kate to be Duke and Duchess of Cambridge post wedding - Apr 29, 2011
- New book reveals how Ministers out for revenge turned against Gordon Brown - Nov 20, 2010
- Queen becomes great-grandmother for first time - Dec 31, 2010
- Queen Elizabeth To Address UN General Assembly On July 6 - Jan 25, 2010
Tags: alleged assassination attempt, australian government, blue mountains, british fleet, buckingham palace, daily mail, duke of edinburgh, elizabeth ii, fleet street, jan 28, lithgow mercury, london jan, plotters, police detective, police station, prince philip, queen elizabeth, queen elizabeth ii, retired police, station chief