Ex-cop and brother jailed for running mafia in ChinaJanuary 21st, 2012 - 6:15 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Jan 21 (IANS) A court in China has sentenced a former police officer to 15 years in jail and his brother to 20 years and slapped them with fines totalling 350 million yuan (over $55 million) for running a mafia-style gang and committing other crimes.
The sentences were pronounced by the Changzhi Municipal Intermediate Court against mafia boss Guan Jianjun and his brother Guan Jianmin who were convicted of organised crime and disrupting social order, Xinhua reported.
The trial of the two brothers came after Changzhi city police in Shanxi province busted an 80-member gang in 2010, seized 260 million yuan (over $41 million) in illegal funds.
The gang was found to have opened gambling dens, controlled the local entertainment industry, engaged in illegal coal mining, and committed blackmail and forced detention of individuals, said the court.
The gang, in operation for over 10 years, amassed 27 properties in Beijing and other cities and owned several companies in Changzhi.
- Chinese policeman jailed for life over bribe - Jun 15, 2012
- China executes mafia-style gang leader - Dec 13, 2011
- Chinese court backs death sentence for gang boss - May 25, 2010
- Chinese man who killed four policemen executed - Apr 26, 2011
- Nearly 1,400 criminals arrested in China - Nov 22, 2011
- China sentences 58 in mine landslide case - Sep 30, 2010
- 18 mafia leaders jailed in China - Jun 01, 2010
- In crackdown on graft, China probed 2,723 officials in 2010 - Mar 11, 2011
- Gambling racket busted in China, 800 held - Mar 31, 2012
- Three gang bosses sentenced to death in China - Oct 22, 2009
- Fake Chinese scribes get seven years in jail - Oct 15, 2011
- China jails 14 people in tainted milk case - Apr 30, 2011
- Chinese mafia ring busted, 58 held - Jun 19, 2012
- Chinese businesswoman's death sentence upheld - Jan 18, 2012
- Five jailed for duping Chinese civil service candidate - Apr 26, 2012
Tags: blackmail, china beijing, city police, coal mining, detention of individuals, entertainment industry, guan, illegal funds, intermediate court, jan 21, jianmin, local entertainment, mafia boss, mafia in china, mafia style, police officer, sentences, two brothers, xinhua, yuan