Ex-Cambodian anti-drug head gets life sentenceJanuary 5th, 2012 - 3:10 pm ICT by IANS
Phnom Penh, Jan 5 (IANS) The former head of the Cambodian anti-drug agency and his two subordinates were Thursday sentenced to life in prison for money laundering.
Lt. Gen. Moek Dara headed the National Authority for Combating Drugs. The accused were also fined thousands of dollars, Xinhua reported.
The Banteay Meanchey Provincial Court has also ordered confiscation of their properties.
They were charged with falsifying reports to hide confiscated drugs for selling them later and depicting drug dealers as mere addicts to win them lighter sentences in exchange for bribes.
- 60 kids die of dengue in Cambodia - Jul 18, 2012
- ASEAN Summit begins - Apr 03, 2012
- Cambodia flash floods trap nearly 200 tourists in historic temple - Sep 24, 2011
- Cambodian anti-drugs officer held with 10-kg heroin stash - Oct 05, 2009
- Cambodian, Thai soldiers again exchange gunfire on Saturday - Apr 30, 2011
- Vulture population rising in Cambodia - Jun 26, 2012
- Mexican woman becomes world's first female drug lord - May 03, 2011
- Norwegian arrested in Cambodia on underage sex charges - Jan 22, 2010
- Khmer Rouge prison chief sentenced to 35 years in prison - Jul 26, 2010
- Swiss man jailed in Cambodia for child sex - Sep 14, 2012
- Iran busts drug smuggling racket - May 31, 2011
- Cambodia sentences two Thai nationalists to jail guilty of spying - Feb 02, 2011
- Iran seizes 2 tonnes of illicit drugs - Jul 28, 2012
- Man kills five relatives in Cambodia - Aug 20, 2010
- At least 184 dead after stampede at festival in Cambodia - Nov 23, 2010