Ex-boss of Chinese firm involved in milk scandal appeals for overturning life sentenceFebruary 2nd, 2009 - 12:34 pm ICT by ANI
Beijing, Feb.2 (ANI): The former chairwoman of the Sanlu Group, Tian Wenhua, has lodged an appeal to overturn a life sentence for her role in the melamine milk contamination scandal, her lawyer said.
Liang Zikan said Tian had appealed to the Higher People’’s Court of Hebei Province because the judgment in the first trial did not clearly distinguish the facts and lacked evidence, Xinhua reports.
Tian was convicted at the Shijiazhuang Intermediate People’’s Court of manufacturing and selling fake or substandard products.
The life sentence was imposed on January 22. Tian was also fined 24.7 million Yuan (3.6 million dollars).
The ruling in the first trial said Tian authorized the sale of products that contains 10 mg of melamine in every one kilogram of milk at a meeting on Aug 13, 2008, citing a so-called EU standard.
Liang said the standard was not raised by Tian, but rather by a board member designated by New Zealand dairy product giant Fonterra, which had a 43-percent stake in Sanlu Group.
Tian and her lawyers also argued the court lacked evidence to say that Tian agreed to receive the problematic crude milk.
Tian said the management of Sanlu Group decided to recall and cease selling the baby milk powder containing melamine on August 1 when the Hebei Provincial Entry-Exit Inspection and Quarantine Bureau confirmed that samples sent by the company were contaminated.
Even if the milk powder department under the group failed to inform the downstream dealers, Tian should not bear the responsibility, Liang said. (ANI)
- China jails 14 people in tainted milk case - Apr 30, 2011
- Melamine tainted milk resurfaces in China - Jul 09, 2010
- Melamine-tainted milk: China begins trial of dairy firm officials - Dec 31, 2008
- Two executed in China for contaminating milk - Nov 24, 2009
- Two get death sentence in China milk scandal (Lead) - Jan 22, 2009
- Six stand trial in China's milk powder scandal - Dec 26, 2008
- 96 arrested in China for selling adulterated milk powder - Jan 13, 2011
- Four arraigned in China's baby food scandal - Dec 29, 2008
- China arrests 96 people for using tainted milk powder - Jan 14, 2011
- Chinese Milk Found Tainted With Melamine - Jul 12, 2010
- Chinese dairy firms say sorry for melamine-tainted milk - Jan 02, 2009
- Police seize 64 tons of melamine tainted milk from northwest China plant - Jul 09, 2010
- China dairy association claims 90% of tainted milk victims compensated - Jan 24, 2009
- Six arrested in fresh melamine milk scandal in China - Aug 21, 2010
- China's contaminated baby food toll rises to four (Lead) - Sep 18, 2008
Tags: august 1, baby milk powder, beijing, board member, chairwoman, chinese firm, dairy product, entry exit, feb 2, fonterra, kilogram, life sentence, milk contamination, million dollars, scandal, substandard products, wenhua, xinhua, yuan, zealand dairy