`Ex Bangladesh army officer supervised offloading of illegal arms’June 4th, 2009 - 12:14 pm ICT by IANS
Dhaka, June 4 (IANS) The off-loading of an arms and ammunition consignment meant for an Indian militant outfit was supervised by a former Bangladesh Army major who was working as deputy director in the National Security Intelligence (NSI), police say.
Two sergeants, who helped seize the consignment, identified Major (retd)) Liakat in a court in Chittagong, the Daily Star newspaper said Thursday.
They said Liakat had checked into Hotel Golden Inn in the port town under a fake name, Abul Hossain, March 30, 2004.
Liakat supervised the offloading of the consignment of 10 truckloads of illegal arms and ammunition purchased from China and brought on a ship owned by a senior lawmaker belonging to the Bangladesh Nationalist Party which was then in power.
Detective Branch sources said sergeants Alauddin and Helal Uddin identified Liakat as the man who checked into the hotel as Abul Hossain.
The arms were to be sent to the United Liberation Front of Asom (ULFA), a separatist militant outfit active in northeastern India.
New Delhi alleges that ULFA’s top brass, including its chief Paresh Barua, operate from Bangladesh and carry out violent operations in India.
The illegal arms case was suppressed in 2004, but has since been revived after the change of the government in Dhaka in January.
Two former senior army officers, Major General Rezakkul Hyder Chowdhury and Brigadier General Abdur Rahim, who were then with the NSI, a key intelligence outfit, have been detained. They are being interrogated at the taskforce for interrogation (TFI) cell in Dhaka, the newspaper said.
- Dhaka police look for ship that carried arms for Indian militants - Oct 25, 2009
- 'Arms found in Bangladesh meant for Indian insurgent group' - Jun 09, 2009
- Bangladesh court to question officials in 2004 arms seizure - Sep 29, 2009
- Ex-Bangladesh minister denied bail in Chittagong arms haul - Nov 12, 2010
- Chittagong arms case: Nabbed Bangladeshi spies confess arms shipments to ULFA - May 22, 2009
- Nabbed official tried to send arms to militants in India: Dhaka - May 04, 2009
- Zia's son did not meet Indian militant, says BNP - Feb 09, 2010
- ULFA paid $99 mn bribe for arms' passage in Bangladesh - Nov 11, 2010
- Dhaka to prosecute 2 former spy chiefs smuggling arms for Indian rebels - May 18, 2009
- Three held with arms in Guwahati - May 10, 2012
- 'Clear evidence of Musharraf meeting militant Anup Chetia' - Jan 10, 2010
- Won't allow 'subversion' by fugitive Indian militants: Dhaka - Oct 14, 2009
- ULFA cadre arrested in Meghalaya - Jul 10, 2012
- GNLA chief arrested near Bangladesh border in Meghalaya (Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- Three Meghalaya rebels nabbed - Nov 25, 2011
Tags: abdur rahim, alauddin, army officer, army officers, bangladesh nationalist party, brigadier general, chowdhury, helal, hossain, hotel golden, hyder, illegal arms, northeastern india, nsi, paresh, security intelligence, top brass, two sergeants, united liberation front, united liberation front of asom