Every 10th find in Indus Valley Civilisation games-relatedFebruary 8th, 2011 - 2:04 pm ICT by IANS
London, Feb 8 (IANS) Every 10th find from the ruins of the Indus Valley Civilisation 4,000 years ago relates to some sort of game, says a recent study from Sweden. Elke Rogersdotter from the University of Gothenburg in Sweden studied play-related artefacts found at excavations in the ruins of Mohenjodaro in present-day Pakistan.
The remains constitute the largest urban settlement from the Bronze Age in the Indus Valley, a cultural complex of the same era as ancient Egypt and Mesopotamia, according to a Gothenburg statement.
Rogersdotter’s study shows some surprising results. Almost every 10th find from the ruined city is play-related.
They include, for instance, different forms of dice and gaming pieces.
“The marked quantity of play-related finds and the structured distribution shows that playing was already an important part of people’s everyday lives more than 4,000 years ago,” Elke said.
- Play was central element of people's lives in Mohenjodaro 4000yrs back - Feb 17, 2011
- Play was a central element of people's lives - even 4,000 years ago - Feb 08, 2011
- A dirty saga unfolds by the Indus in Kashmir (Leh Newsletter) - Jul 29, 2011
- More needed for neglected Mohenjo-Daro: Pakistani daily - Feb 22, 2012
- Mohenjo-daro safe from rampaging floods caused by raging Indus River - Aug 30, 2010
- Ceramic is sculpting tool for Indian artist (With Image) - Sep 14, 2010
- Innovative Harappans used commodes thousands of years ago - Feb 05, 2011
- Old people more outgoing, sexually active - Nov 01, 2011
- Ancient Mohenjodaro remains under threat from swollen Indus River - Aug 07, 2010
- 'Low steroid levels tied to heart risks in elderly men' - Jun 24, 2012
- Drunk moose stuck up in tree in Gothenburg - Sep 08, 2011
- Indus Valley script encodes spoken language, says study - Apr 30, 2009
- Saeed Mirza unravels glory of lost Islamic civilization - Mar 02, 2012
- Pill doesn't cause weight gain among women - Jun 09, 2011
- India, Pakistan likely to sign culture pact - Apr 16, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,