Everton, Spurs go out of UEFA Cup on shoot-out

March 13th, 2008 - 3:21 pm ICT by admin  

Hamburg, March 13 (DPA) English Premiership clubs Everton and Tottenham Hotspur crashed out of the UEFA Cup in penalty shoot-outs Wednesday, despite winning their return leg round of 16 matches. Everton managed to beat Serie A side Fiorentina 2-0 to reverse a first leg defeat, but went out 4-2 on penalties, while Tottenham managed a 1-0 victory at PSV Eindhoven, but lost 6-5 on penalties after a 1-1 aggregate score.

At home, Everton had an ideal start when Andy Johnson put them ahead after just 16 minutes from a South African international Steven Pienaar set piece.

Mikel Arteta sent the game into extra time with a second for the home side in the 67th minute, but penalty misses by Phil Jagielka and Yakubu Ayegbeni broke the home fans’ hearts.

In Eindhoven, PSV seemed well on course for a place in the quarterfinals after having won 1-0 at Tottenham in the first leg. But Dimitar Berbatov equalised the tie nine minutes from the end with the only goal of the match.

After Paul Robinson saved Danko Lazovic’s spot-kick, Spurs were in the driving seat and Jermaine Jenas could have put them into the next round had he converted his side’s fifth spot-kick, but Eindhoven goalkeeper Heurelho da Silva Gomes saved the penalty to push the shoot-out into sudden-death, where French defender Pascal Chimbonda missed Spurs’ second kick.

In contrast luck blessed Bundesliga clubs Bayern Munich and Bayer Leverkusen, who despite loses in the return legs Wednesday, advanced to the quarterfinal on aggregate score.

Bayern Munich, who had done all the work in the first leg in Anderlecht winning 5-0, lost 2-1 at home but go through to quarterfinals on 6-2 aggregate score, while Leverkusen survived a late furious onslaught from fellow German club SV Hamburg to advance despite losing 3-2.

Leverkusen went through on the away goal rule after the tie ended 3-3 on aggregate.

In Munich, Brazilian international Lucio gave Bayern, who started the game with several reserves being given a starting place, an early lead in the eighth minute, but Serhat Akin and Alexander Iakovenko turned things around for the visitors.

Meanwhile, in Hamburg, Sergej Barbarez (18) and Theofanis Gekas (55) were the goal scorers for Leverkusen. However, the going was tough at the end for Leverkusen after Paolo Guerrero and captain Rafael van der Vaart gave the home side hope by putting them 3-2 ahead with ten minutes remaining. Piotr Trochowski had earlier equalised for the home side.

Leverkusen coach Michael Skibbe admitted after the game that his side had been lucky to advance. “We lost our way in the second half and Hamburg came back strongly.

“I would not say that we really deserved to go through as we made too many mistakes, but at the end of the day, I am happy that we are in the next round and now we want to go as far as we can.”

In an earlier game, Zenit St. Petersburg managed to overcome a 3-1 deficit from the first leg against Olympique Marseille to advance to the next round on the away goal rule after winning 2-0 Wednesday to tie the game 3-3 on aggregate.

After winning the first leg match in France 3-1, Marseille were expected to advance to the next round, but two goals by Pavel Pogrebnyak turned the tie in Zenit’s way.

The Russian international striker opened the scoring in the 39th minute after Andrei Arshavin managed to beat the Marseille offside trap with a header to Pogrebynak, whose shot gave no chance to Marseille custodian Steve Mandanda.

Marseille then managed to curtail the home side’s pressure until late in the game, but 12 minutes from the end, Pogrebnyak added a second to see his side through.

Also through on the night was Spanish club Getafe who beat Benfica 1-0 through Juan Albin’s second half goal to advance 3-1 on aggregate after having won 2-1 in Lisbon in the first leg.

Related Stories

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in World |