Everton looking to transfer market after Yakubu injuryDecember 1st, 2008 - 3:01 pm ICT by IANS
London, Dec 1 (DPA) Everton manager David Moyes said that he may have to dip into the transfer market in January after his top striker Yakubu was ruled out for the rest of the season because of injury.The Nigerian striker ruptured his Achilles tendon in Sunday’s win over Tottenham Hotspur, a match that saw him last just 10 minutes.
Louis Saha, who replaced Yakubu, lasted only another hour, leaving the field with his own injury, leaving Moyes sorely shorthanded.
“It is well documented that we don’t have great amounts of cash here, and getting involved in January certainly wouldn’t have been our ideal plan,” Moyes said.
“But the chairman has always backed me, and clearly we can’t go through the rest of the season if we only have one fit striker. We’ll see where we are and what we can do when the time comes in the new year.”
Moyes said that the injury to Yakubu was pure bad luck.
“He’s done his Achilles, and that’s him out for the season,” the Scot said.
“Louis Saha did his hamstring as well, so with James Vaughan facing a knee operation, we are really short up front. It’s a massive shame for us.”
- Saha admits being one of the unluckiest players of his generation - Feb 21, 2010
- Croatia dark horses of Euro 2012 - Jun 03, 2012
- Blackburn's Yakubu set to join Chinese club Guangzhou - Jun 19, 2012
- Manchester City's Adebayor looks set for Tottenham Hotspur switch - Nov 30, 2010
- Van der Vaart set to return against Norwich - Dec 25, 2011
- Lampard, Terry out of England's Euro 2012 qualifiers - Aug 29, 2010
- Adebayor to miss Togo's World Cup qualifier - Jun 09, 2012
- 'Under fire' Terry's 'blips' allow Everton to sneak win over Chelsea - Feb 11, 2010
- Adriano celebrates weight loss on 30th birthday - Feb 18, 2012
- Mancini puts talks on Tevez's Man City future on hold - Apr 29, 2011
- Villas-Boas appointed Tottenham manager - Jul 03, 2012
- Crushing Czechs was easy: Pavlyuchenko - Jun 09, 2012
- Everton manager Moyes says Beckham 'just needs to call' for him to be hired - Nov 27, 2010
- England announce 23-man squad for Euro Championship - May 16, 2012
- Tottenham striker runs out of patience with Redknapp after life on bench - Feb 07, 2011