Everton knocked out of UEFA Cup as Villa progressOctober 3rd, 2008 - 2:57 pm ICT by IANS
Hamburg, Oct 3 (DPA) Premier League side Everton were knocked out of the UEFA Cup after going down to Standard Liege 2-1 to go out 4-3 on aggregate while a draw was enough to seal Aston Villa’s place in the group stages.Axel Witsel opened the scoring for the Belgian league leaders before Phil Jagielka levelled matters for Everton in the second half Thursday.
However, a penalty from Milan Jovanovic sealed the win for Liege to complete a miserable week for coach David Moyes, whose side lost to city rivals Liverpool at the weekend.
Villa entered their tie against Litex Lovech holding a comfortable 3-1 lead from the first leg and went further ahead in the 27th minute through Marlon Harewood. Wilfried Niflore equalised for Lovech from the penalty spot but Martin O’Neill easily held on to progress 4-2 on aggregate.
There was also success for struggling Premier League side Tottenham Hotspur who were held to a 1-1 draw at Wisla Krakow, but went through 3-2 on aggregate.
Tottenham went ahead through an own goal by Arkadiusz Glowacki. The home side then threw caution to the winds and were rewarded for their efforts seven minutes from time when Pawel Brozek levelled matters.
They then pushed forward even more in search of a second goal that would take them into extra time, but Spurs keeper Heurelho Gomes pulled off a number of classy saves to deny the home side.
It was also a good night for German clubs as VfB Stuttgart, VfL Wolfsburg, SV Hamburg and Schalke 04 went through to join Hertha Berlin, who had already qualified for the next round Tuesday.
Stuttgart, who won the first leg against Cherno More Varna 2-1, looked on their way out at home as the Bulgarian side were leading 2-0 with seven minutes to go, but Thomas Hitzlsperger levelled the tie.
In injury time Mario Gomez found an equaliser for Stuttgart to send the team through 4-3 on aggregate.
SV Hamburg, who managed no better than a goalless draw against Unirea Urziceni at home, won 2-0 in Romania on the night to advance 2-0 on aggregate.
Schalke 04 had already done all the hard work in Cyprus in the first leg winning 4-1 against APOEL Nicosia. They were held to a 1-1 draw at home but went through 5-2 on aggregate.
Wolfsburg were held to a 1-1 draw at Rapid Bucharest to advance 2-1 on aggregate.
Wolfsburg had the ideal start in Romania taking the lead in the 15th minute through Grafite, giving the home side a tough task of having to score three goals to go through.
Although Vasile Maftei equalised in the 70th minute, it was too late to allow the home side back into the game.
Borussia Dortmund pulled back a two-goal deficit against Italian side Udinese through two goals from Tamas Hajnal but ended up crashing out 4-3 on penalties.
Deportivo La Coruna needed penalties to overcome Norwegian side Brann Bergen while Sevilla eased into the group stages with a 2-0 victory to seal a 4-0 aggregate win.
Also through on the night were Sampdoria, who won 2-1 at Kaunas to advance 7-1 on aggregate, Lech Poznan, who needed extra time to dispose of Austria Vienna 5-4 on aggregate after a 4-2 victory.
Benfica beat Napoli 2-0 to go through 4-3 on aggregate while Valencia celebrated a 2-1 win to progress 3-1 on aggregate against Maritimo Funchal.
Two extra-time goals from Peter Crouch ensured English FA Cup winners Portsmouth’s place in the Group phase, the English striker’s goal ensuring Harry Redknapp’s side progress 4-2 on aggregate after drawing 2-2 on the night.
- Bayern on top with unconvincing victory over Wolfsburg - Jan 29, 2012
- Monchengladbach into German Cup quarters - Dec 22, 2011
- Europa League: Manchester United edge out Ajax, Valencia beat Stoke - Feb 24, 2012
- Liverpool, Man City progress, but Aston Villa fall - Aug 27, 2010
- Bremen go top as Hanover and Bundesliga remember Enke - Nov 22, 2009
- Mertesacker saves Bremen as Hamburg and Schalke stumble - Nov 29, 2009
- Ibisevic puts Stuttgart past Dynamo - Aug 29, 2012
- Bayern Munich claims win against newcomer - Aug 26, 2012
- Europa Cup: Spurs strike thrice in five minutes against Rovers - Sep 30, 2011
- Schalke and Hannover tie match 2-2 - Aug 27, 2012
- Mainz shock Stuttgart 3-1 in Bundesliga - Nov 05, 2011
- Bayern Munich stay on top of Bundesliga standings - Dec 12, 2011
- Bayern Munich reduces Dortmund's lead - Apr 01, 2012
- Dortmund close in on Bundesgila title - Apr 15, 2012
- Leaders Hoffenheim snatch late draw in Bundesliga - Feb 08, 2009