Europeans walk out on Iran’s president at UN conferenceApril 20th, 2009 - 10:10 pm ICT by IANS
Geneva, April 20 (DPA) Delegates from the European Union (EU) walked out of the Durban Review Conference on racism in Geneva Monday during a speech by Iran’s President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, in which he made derisive remarks about Israel.
The Iranian leader said that Palestinians had been “made homeless” following World War II “under the pretext of Jewish suffering”.
There was a “racist regime in Palestine”, he said, and added that Western powers have “given them a free hand to continue their crimes”.
Ahmadinejad also said “Zionists (Israel) and their allies” planned the Iraq war and that “World Zionism personifies racism”.
France had threatened to leave the conference if he made such statements.
One European official said the delegates walked out due to the “inflammatory” remarks.
- US calls for end to Ahmadinejad's 'inflammatory rhetoric' (Lead) - Apr 21, 2009
- World-wide condemnation follows Ahmadinejad rant - Apr 21, 2009
- UN racism conference adopts final declaration - Apr 22, 2009
- March of Living honours Holocaust victims - Apr 21, 2009
- Germany to walk out at UN if Iran denies Holocaust - Sep 23, 2009
- Israel is cancerous tumour: Ahmadinejad - Aug 17, 2012
- UN condemns Ahmedinejad speech at racism conference - Apr 20, 2009
- US, EU countries' delegates walk-out to protest Ahmadinejad's UN speech on 9/11 attacks - Sep 24, 2010
- UN racism conference begins amid widespread boycott - Apr 20, 2009
- Ban condemns Ahmadinejad's anti-Israel statement - Aug 18, 2012
- Iran launches website to undermine Holocaust - Aug 05, 2010
- Egyptian parliamentary delegation visits Gaza - Mar 29, 2012
- Palestine becomes Unesco member; US upset - Nov 01, 2011
- EU rejects Ahmadinejad speech - Apr 21, 2009
- Israel rebuffs Obama's 1967 borders call - May 20, 2011
Tags: allies, crimes, delegates, dpa, european union, europeans, geneva, inflammatory remarks, iranian leader, iraq war, mahmoud ahmadinejad, palestine, palestinians, president mahmoud ahmadinejad, pretext, racism, racist regime, world war ii, zionism, zionists