European parliament urges Russia, China to back Iran sanctionsFebruary 3rd, 2012 - 4:17 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, Feb 3 (IANS/RIA Novosti) The European parliament Thursday called on Russia and China to back UN Security Council sanctions against Iran and cease assisting its nuclear activities.
“[Members] regret the ongoing refusal of China and Russia in the UN Security Council to support sanctions against Iran and call on Russia to cease providing assistance for Iran’s nuclear development until Iran fully complied with its obligations under UN resolutions,” the parliament said in a resolution.
Iran is subject to a series of EU and US sanctions, including measures targeting the country’s lucrative oil industry.
Western powers fear Iran is pursuing a nuclear weapons programme but it insists its uranium enrichment work is for peaceful purposes only.
Members also backed new tough EU sanctions against Iran and condemned Tehran’s threat to close the Strait of Hormuz, through which more than 20 percent of the world’s shipped oil passes.
Last week, EU Foreign Ministers agreed on additional sanctions against Iran, including a phased ban on imports of Iranian crude oil to the bloc from July 1.
The EU currently purchases about 20 percent of Iran’s oil exports.
Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said Iran was ready to restart six-party talks with the West but added that it was “evident that those who resort to coercion are opposed to talks”.
- Iran talks resume in Baghdad - May 24, 2012
- EU accepts Iran talks offer - Mar 06, 2012
- Russia rules out Iran sanctions - Feb 16, 2012
- Russia warns against unilateral sanctions on Iran - Jun 14, 2012
- Israel warns against concessions to Tehran - May 22, 2012
- Moscow urges Iran to respond to IAEA concerns - Feb 27, 2012
- Iran may ban import of all European goods - Jan 29, 2012
- US sanctions on Iran threaten ties with Russia - Aug 14, 2012
- Russia raps EU sanctions against Iran - Jul 27, 2010
- Iran not to retreat an iota from its rights - May 12, 2012
- Russia seeks compromise on Iran sanctions - Mar 06, 2012
- Iran's n-plant to reach full capacity in February - Jan 08, 2012
- Iran to file complaint against US, EU over sanctions - Jul 30, 2012
- Israel to use all means to stop Iran's nuclear programme - Feb 16, 2012
- Iran to announce new 'big' nuclear achievements - Feb 11, 2012
Tags: coercion, european parliament, foreign ministers, iran sanctions, iranian president mahmoud, iranian president mahmoud ahmadinejad, lucrative oil, mahmoud ahmadinejad, nuclear activities, nuclear development, nuclear weapons, oil exports, oil industry, peaceful purposes, president mahmoud ahmadinejad, ria novosti, sanctions against iran, strait of hormuz, un security council, uranium enrichment