Europe must be sensitive to Greek people: French ministerJune 22nd, 2012 - 7:21 am ICT by IANS
Luxembourg, June 22 (IANS) Europe must be more “sensitive” to the Greek people and take steps to help revive the country’s economy, according to French Finance Minister Pierre Moscovici.
Speaking to reporters after arriving for the eurozone finance ministers’ meeting, Moscovici said: “While Greece will have to honour its commitments, Europe has to be sensitive to the feelings of the Greek people and take measures to boost the country’s economy.”
Eurozone finance ministers and officials met Thursday for discussing a bailout for Spanish banks and the way ahead for Greece’s emergency lending programme.
The comments came a day after a three-party coalition government was formed in Athens following Sunday’s second round of parliamentary election, which promised to negotiate softer terms on its harsh international bailout programme, Xinhua reported.
“Efforts must be made, but at the same time we have to create conditions for hope. That’s what the euro must be about,” Moscovici added.
The French finance minister’s remarks reflected a growing willingness among many European leaders to ease the terms of the bailout programme and help the Greek economy, which is on course to the fifth year of recession.
- Europe agrees to 1 trillion euro fund for new bailout plan - Oct 27, 2011
- Eurozone reaches Greek bailout deal - Feb 21, 2012
- Greek referendum plan plunges financial markets into frenzy - Nov 02, 2011
- Greece votes in parliamentary elections (Lead) - May 06, 2012
- Eurozone approves new Greek bailout plan (Lead) - Feb 21, 2012
- EU urges Greek debt deal to be reached without delay - Jan 24, 2012
- Bill Clinton calls for support to Greek economy - Jul 23, 2012
- Europe should help Greece to avoid crisis: Greek PM - Oct 16, 2011
- Eurozone agrees to bail out Spanish banks - Jun 10, 2012
- Greece upset calculations, let it not spillover: Manmohan - Nov 04, 2011
- IMF approves another bailout tranche for Greece - Dec 06, 2011
- Nicolas Sarkozy vows to protect euro, Europe - Nov 04, 2011
- New Greek government wins confidence vote - Nov 17, 2011
- Greece votes on EU bailout - Jun 17, 2012
- Give Greece extra time: Austria - Aug 27, 2012
Tags: athens, bailout, commitments, european leaders, feelings, finance ministers, french finance minister, french minister, greece, greek economy, honour, luxembourg, measures, ministers meeting, parliamentary election, party coalition government, recession, spanish banks, willingness, xinhua