EU welcomes reopening of Kashmir trade routeOctober 23rd, 2008 - 12:08 am ICT by IANS
Brussels, Oct 22 (IANS) EU Commissioner for External Relations Benita Ferrero-Waldner Wednesday welcomed the opening of the trade route across the Line of Control (LoC) that divides Jammu and Kashmir and said India and Pakistan can count on the support of the 27-member European bloc to resolve their differences, EuAsiaNews reported.”This is an exciting moment for India and Pakistan; after 61 years, people in Kashmir on both sides of the Line of Control can now enjoy the benefits of regional trade,” she said in a statement.
This decision shows the vision of Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari in bringing people together, Ferrero-Waldner, a former Austria foreign minister, said, adding: “I very much hope this momentum will continue.”
She continued that both countries know they can count on the strong support of the EU as they resolve their differences bilaterally through peaceful dialogue.
Bridging a six-decade divide, India and Pakistan Tuesday resumed trade across the LoC with trucks loaded with good like spices, apples, walnuts and carpets rolling acros the de-facto border from both sides.
The cross-LoC trade on the Srinagar-Muzaffarabad and Poonch-Rawlakote routes began for the first time since 1948, when commercial ties snapped following the India-Pakistan war a year after the bloody partition of the subcontinent.
- Kashmir mulls re-opening of other pre-Partition routes - Mar 31, 2011
- High hopes in Kashmir as India meets Pakistan - Jul 24, 2011
- Home secretary reviews cross-LOC trade at Poonch - May 17, 2012
- Kashmir fruit traders to suspend trade across Line of Control - Nov 10, 2008
- Union home secretary in Kashmir, meets Omar - May 16, 2012
- India, Pakistan discuss additional CBMs for Kashmir - Jul 19, 2012
- Cross-LoC trade needs financial mechanisms: Omar - Apr 04, 2012
- India, Pakistan ease Kashmir travel, trade - Jul 27, 2011
- First joint trade chamber for divided Kashmir chooses chief - Feb 09, 2012
- Pakistan to continue support to Kashmir cause: Ashraf (Lead) - Jul 06, 2012
- Pakistan to continue support to Kashmir cause: PM - Jul 06, 2012
- Cross LoC travel: India unilaterally increases stay period to six months - Mar 26, 2011
- Fast-track LOC trade, travel: Mufti Sayeed - Apr 06, 2012
- Mufti demands hassle-free cross-LoC trade - May 22, 2012
- Cross LoC trade hampered by barter system, lack of banking (With Image) - Mar 01, 2012
Tags: asif ali zardari, austria foreign minister, benita ferrero waldner, india and pakistan, india pakistan war, indian prime minister manmohan singh, jammu and kashmir, manmohan singh, peaceful dialogue, prime minister manmohan singh